Struggles help create solutions

Dear Editor:

Workers will always be suppressed by their authorities through forces such as slavery no matter how free they feel in their environment.

The May 10 article, ìTaco Bell Workers Fight Labor Abuses,î by Rachel Whipple, demonstrates that even in a liberty-based country, like the United States, fellow men take advantage of one another through labor abuses.

I believe that slavery is wrong and makes leaders appear to be inert and inconsiderate. It makes any equality issues in a nation obtrusive.

On the contrary, I believe that it is essential for a nation to go through struggles, such as conflicts with slavery, to build itself up and become more stable. Countries need to go through different experiences so that it may learn how to deal with them.

It is also important that the workers in a country recognize situations such as slavery in their nation so that they may find solutions to the problem. It is not only the responsibility, but also the duty for the citizens of a nation to terminate any corruptions in their country.

As a U.S. citizen, I understand how easy it is to be blinded to issues such as slavery when we have always been taught that we have rights and liberty because we live in a free country. It is especially difficult to comprehend this when the media tries to convince the people of no such thing.