Come for the music, stay for dessert

The campus jazz band held its annual Jazz Band Concert and Dessert Auction on April 3 at 7 P.M. in Ground Zero.

The event included over half an hour of music played by the jazz band, led by band adviser Paul McEntee. While the band grooved in the background, its audience walked around and par took in a silent auction of desserts.

The desserts included cakes, brownies and cookies. The band members themselves make all delicacies.

?I?ve played trumpet in jazz band for three years and marching band for one year,? Scott Yantis, ?09, said. ?I?ve participated in the dessert concert for three years, and it?s always an enjoyable experience.?

The event is meant to be a relaxing time where the public can enjoy appealing jazz music while helping to fund the high school band.

?I went because I am a avid fan of jazz,? Akiko Work, ?06, said. ?I ate so much dessert while there so now I do not want to touch sugar again. I ate and I ate, and then fell into a sugar induced coma, but was soothed by the jazz music.?

Many of the jazz members are experienced and have been participating in similar concerts for yeas. Others are first timers and play all kinds of different instruments.

?I play the bass guitar,? Hannah Wilhelm, ?07, said. ?Not the real bass guitar, but on a keyboard. I?m excited to play. I didn?t think we were as prepared as we could have been, but we ended up doing fine.?

The band played the show fresh after appearing at a concert in Hanford on March 27. After participating with the many schools that attended the Hanford review, the jazz band received an excellent rating from the judges.

?I just joined jazz band this year and play the piano,? Corinne Pogue, ?06, said. ?The dessert auction was our fourth concert and I had a great time.?

Jazz band will be traveling to San Francisco on April 6-8 to attend the city’s symphony. From there, the band will be playing at the ACSI Festival at Rincon Valley Christian in Santa Rosa on April 8. Both the concert and jazz bands will be at the Festival.

For more information, contact McEntee at [email protected].