Hello, Dolly! shatters expectations with star-studded cast

Classic Broadway play impresses students

[/media-credit] Feather staffers smile for a photo inside the Sam S. Shubert Theatre before watching the play Hello, Dolly!

After a day full of touring, The Feather staff entered the Sam S. Shubert Theatre dressed in their best formal attire they had brought to New York City, March 13. Students and chaperons found their seats and flipped through their playbills, noting cast members who they had seen in other plays or films. After seeing Wicked two days earlier, the group now prepared to watch the classic Broadway play, Hello, Dolly!

Hello, Dolly! was first produced by David Merrick in 1964 and has since become a show beloved by many across the nation. The story is based off the play “The Matchmaker” by Thornton Wilder and the music and lyrics are by Jerry Herman.

The play follows the story of Dolly Gallagher Levi and her exploits in meddling with relationships and match-making. After spending much of her time pairing acquaintances with each other, Dolly (played by Bernadette Peters), decides it is time to match herself with someone, and who better to marry than Horace Vandergelder (Victor Garber), the ‘half-a-millionaire’, from Yonkers?

The story also has several sub-plots that, while slightly hard to follow in the beginning because of the number of characters we are introduced to, greatly enhance the play.

Each step that the cast took seemed to be perfectly in sync, as if they all moved together with one body. The rich sound of the company singing together was also a highlight of the performance for me. While each member of the cast performed their solos almost without flaw, it was the entire cast together that made Hello, Dolly! the best Broadway show I have seen to date. — Mariana Fikse

I expected the play to be dated, as the original rendition was performed in the mid 1960s. However, the first musical number of Hello, Dolly! completely shattered any expectations or pre-conceived notions I held of the production.

The star-studded cast not only grabbed my attention during the first scene, they also managed to invoke in me the wonder of Broadway. Hello, Dolly! charms the audience with its grand musical numbers and dance routines.

One thing I enjoyed about the play was the fact that it maintained its classic charm while still remaining relevant and humorous to today’s world. The show did not need flashy lights or loud music to impress. The cast, orchestra and amazing sets placed themselves apart from any other Broadway play I had seen before.

It was apparent that each member of the cast was comfortable in their roles, which made their characters even more likable to the audience. Other main characters in the play such as Cornelius Hackl (Santino Fontana) and Barnaby Tucker (Charlie Stemp) added to the light-hearted feel of the play.

[/media-credit] The crowd reacted positively to almost every song and dance routine in Hello, Dolly!

Not only were the main characters phenomenal, the rest of the supporting cast, including the townspeople, waiters and other members of the ensemble, were amazing. Their dance and song routines in “The Waiters’ Gallop” and the following song “Hello, Dolly!” received a deafening roar from the crowd.

Each step that the cast took seemed to be perfectly in sync, as if they all moved together with one body. The rich sound of the company singing together was also a highlight of the performance for me.

While each member of the cast performed their solos almost without flaw, it was the entire cast together that made Hello, Dolly! the best Broadway show I have seen to date.

I recommend this show to anyone who comes to New York City and is interested in seeing a Broadway play. This award winning production deserves just as much praise now as it did when it first premiered.

For more articles, read The Feather takes NYC 2018: Day 2 Recap or Wicked cast entertains as lead characters shine.

This author can be reached via email.