Romeo and Juliet enchants audience with renowned cast

Iconic ballet meets expectations

The State Street Ballet of Santa Barbara performed the classic ballet of Romeo and Juliet, March 3. The performance took place inside William Saroyan Theatre, home to many events around the valley.

William Shakespeare’s 1597 play, Romeo and Juliet, serves as inspiration for the ballet. The familiar story has been adapted many times into various books, musicals, plays, and more. It originally became a complete ballet in 1938 after music was created by Russian composer Sergei Prokofiev.

The ballet follows the story of two lovers, Romeo and Juliet. The pair are kept separated by their subsequent houses, the Capulets and the Montagues. As a result of the feud between the two houses, their love is forbidden, leading to a dramatic tale of love, death and woe.

[/media-credit] The ballet follows the story of two lovers, Romeo and Juliet. The pair are kept separated by their subsequent houses, the Capulets and the Montagues.

The ballet was visually spectacular. The actors’ wardrobe consisted of a variety of colorful costumes similar to that of upper class families in the 1500s. In addition, the set design included several backdrops including the streets of Verona, the Capulet ball and the catacombs.

The story is driven by its twists and turns in the plot. It is this unpredictable nature that shines through the music, keeping the audience enchanted and in suspense. A playful tune is present when Mercutio (Francois Llorente) toys with the Nurse (Marina Fliagina), contrasting with the fast-paced fight songs between the Capulets and the Montagues. The score was one of my favorite parts of the entire ballet. 

What makes this particular ballet unique is the adjusted choreography created by Rodney Gustafson. He highlights the most dramatic points in the story, adding a new twist to the already famous love story. Gustafson recently named Resident Choreographer William Soleau as Co-artistic director, creating a new partnership that benefits the company. I thought that Gustafson and Soleau did an excellent job narrating the story through dance.

The pas de deux between Romeo, played by Aaron Smyth, and Juliet, played by Deise Mendoça, was simply stunning. The dance revolved around the play’s famous balcony scene, where Romeo visits Juliet and confesses his love. Mendoça did a particularly excellent job conveying the anticipation and excitement of the moment; her facial expressions drew the audience in. 

[/media-credit] The entire cast performed wonderfully, but Mendoça and Smyth stole the show. Their movements were fluid, every step in rhythm with one another.

The entire cast performed wonderfully, but Mendoça and Smyth stole the show. Their movements were fluid, every step in rhythm with one another.

The State Street Ballet of Santa Barbara was accompanied by the Fresno Ballet Theatre castTybalt (James Folsom), Benvolio (Chang-Hung Chung), Paris (Mauricio Vera), and Nurse (Marina Fliagina) danced alongside the leads and aided sufficiently.

The State Street Ballet of Santa Barbara’s production of Romeo and Juliet is currently on tour. Their next performance will be held March 23 at 7:30 p.m. inside Lobero Theatre. Tickets can be purchased via their website or at the theatre itself.

For more articles, read Feather Takes New York 2018: Day 4 Recap or Wicked cast entertains as lead characters shine.

Cathryn Vander Kooi can be reached via email and Twitter.

[rwp_box id=”0″]