Math Field Day celebrates vintage academics

Many events take place on the weekends besides hanging out with friends, sleeping in, and going out to eat, but events such as Vintage Days and Math Field Day are taking place at Fresno State on April 22. Fresno State will be thriving with many students and adults attending one of the two events.

Math Field Day is a chance for kids to academically compete against other schools and even classmates to challenge the junior and high school math scholars. It also gives students the ability to explore their brain in a different way.

Math teacher Fenton and calculus teacher Dr. Bob Arnold have encouraged students to attend the April 22 event. Fenton is not only inviting his student, but requiring his honors students to attend.

?Not only am I going because it is a requirement, but also because I want to have fun,? Jaclyn Blackwell, ?07, said. ?I am looking forward to playing Leap Frog with my friend Bonnie, and then I am going to check out the Vintage Days.?

For the annual event, students may compete in one of three different contests: Leap Frog, a ?tag team? game where one student answers questions and the other corrects mistakes; Mad Hatter, an individual game where speed is the ultimate winning factor; and a variation on the popular math game Nim, where students compete one-on-one.

?I want students to challenge themselves, not just by learning but also having fun,? Fenton said. ?I also want the students to get involved because it gives them exposure to mathematics contests.?

Not only Math Field Day is taking place on Saturday, but also Fresno State?s annual Vintage Days. This spring festival attracts more than 50,000 people to Fresno State University.

Last year the campus math team won second place in the small schools division, and hope to achieve first place this year.