Attitudes create positive baseball experience

In tennis, athletes compete individually often without concern of team unity. Other sports, such as golf, players compete often against their own teammates. But in baseball, each member are all key components in America’s game.

A pitcher cannot function without a catcher or shortstop. Likewise the boys? baseball team cannot function without senior Jordan Hogue and other rising leaders on a team struggling for success.

While the baseball team does not have a winning record in the West Sierra League, the win-loss column has not dampened their spirit. This record appears low because the team faces many challenges not withstanding the experience of the team. The only player with previous varsity experience is Hogue.

?Jordan is a veteran on a young team,? coach Jon Hall said. ?He is a leader and always has a good attitude.?

Hogue started playing on varsity as a sophomore. In his first years of varsity, Hogue was just a number on the team, but now Hall considers him a key leader because of his extensive varsity experience.

?I have been playing baseball since I was five,? Hogue said. ?I played t-ball and have liked the game ever since.?

Hall considers Hogue as the glue of the team. He lives up to his experience by maintaining leadership skills that help his teammates to develop.

?Jordan is an important player,? Hall said, ?and is like the piece to the puzzle.?

Hogue plays three positions: pitcher, third base and shortstop. His mother provided the inspiration for his involvement in baseball.

?My mom got me started and it became important to me,? Hogue said. ?She thought it would be better for me to play another sport other than soccer.?

Although Hogue is the starting pitcher, junior Jeremy Ramos also is stepping in to a very important position and hopes to help lead next year?s team.

?Jeremy is doing really well,? assistant coach Scott Falk said. ?He is a natural leader, has a good attitude and has great ability to play baseball.?

Similar to Hogue, Ramos began playing due to encouragement from a parent. Ramos?s father created an interest in the sport as a chance to spend quality time together.

?I have been playing since I was four,? Ramos said. ? My dad got me started because he was the one to buy my glove and play catch with me.?

Falk believes Ramos has the ability to be a strong athlete, due to his skill, attitude and potential to learn.

?Being able to improve and get better makes an athlete,? Falk said. ?Jeremy is an athlete and is very skilled and one of the best hitters on the team.?

Some of the players had expectations for this year that may not be reached, but to resolve this issue the team seems to practice more and is believed to have improved.

?Our team is not doing that well,? Ramos said. ?But the team has great potential to be very good.?

Despite weather setbacks and a lack of experience, the unity among the boys keeps the baseball team strong and confident for improvement.

The next home game is against Caruthers on May 2 and is scheduled to start at 4 P.M. For more information email Hall at [email protected].