Drama: Beyond the elective

Since the beginning of Fresno Christian, drama has been one of its main electives and most entertaining out of school activities. It has proved to be an icebreaker for many students and also a method of personal expression for the untamed teen.

The program began the second year Fresno Christian opened, labeled as ?Fine Arts and Music.? Later the course was divided into three separate classes: choir, band and drama.

?In the mid-80s we began our first high school drama class,? Superintendent Tim Wilkins said. ?The teacher had a drama background and the focus was primarily plays rather than musicals. Some of the early plays included Our House and The Rain Maker.?

Although both productions were a hit and had the support of a great teacher, keeping up the drama class proved to be more and more challenging by each passing year.

After being separated drama took the back seat to both choir and band. It faced difficulties such as acquiring the enthusiasm of students but most importantly finding a qualified teacher that could spark that enthusiasm.

?Some of the teachers didn?t have the drive,? Principal Gary Schultz said. ?The success of drama purely lies on the teacher and the enthusiasm they put forward. It needs great teachers for great classes and that is why it is doing so well now. Tom McEntee is doing a great job.?

In spite of the many set backs the drama class has endured, it has come out strong and is growing even stronger under the leadership of McEntee. Mr. Mac, as known by campus students, has been the drama teacher for six years in addition to his contribution to the English and Bible departments.

?I love seeing the finished product,? McEntee said. ?After the work when I get to sit back and see the students being creative.?

McEntee is currently undergoing a piece entitled Commedia Delight, which in a way, could be know as an Italian opera that fuses both delightful Italian foods with hilarious characters.

The play takes place in the town of Delight where the not-so-happy Notsobene Pantalone treats her fellow town?s people cruelly and ruthlessly. When, with a weird twist of fate, Pantalones? long lost twin sister arrives to save the town from its misery, ironically, through drama.

Drama students enjoy what the class brings out in them and the many opportunities they are given. The satisfaction of enduring a play and the challenges it brings helps them in their future goals and personal character.

?The class is funny,? Haley Tamberi, ?05, said. ?It?s relaxed at times and I enjoy the plays even though they are a challenge. I love working with my friends and spending time with them and its fun performing the plays and getting compliments afterwards.?

As the past conflicts of the drama class simmer down, challenges for the future have only surfaced. Plans for going back to musicals have emerged for the road ahead with the hope of having both students and faculty join in in the inspiring new vision for Fresno Christian.

Commedia Delight will be performed on May 12-13 in Ground Zero beginning at 7 P.M. Tickets can be purchased at the door or from drama students a week prior to the production: $7 for adults and $5 for students with school ID cards.