BREAKING: Econ Fair 2018

Students sell products, learn real world skills

Rob Foshees civics and economics class participates in an activity that allows students to experience how business works and how they can advertise to attract business. Students choose from a variety of possible items to sell and then they sell them. They put all of the things they learned in the previous semester into an event, Econ Fair.

[/media-credit] Students purchase items during the 2017 Econ Fair. The 2018 fair begins at 12:45 p.m., April 18.

Participating in the Econ Fair offers the students an opportunity to market and sell a product that they have created. Students create their product and advertise in the previous week to other students on their product to get them hyped for their product.

Roman Endicott, ’18, speaks about his product this year and the process of preparing it. 

“We’re selling our own take on stress balls. They are shaped like eggs so we’re calling them stress eggs,” Endicott said “The cost is going to be one dollar for each one. We wanted to do something simple and easy that won’t cost too much to make and that would appeal to the junior highers as well. We have been in the process of this whole project for a little over a month. We’ve had to come up with a prototype and advertise.”

Maicy Luginbill, ‘18, speaks about their product and the challenges along the way.

“Lauren (Tucker, ’18,) and I are selling wacky waffles so they are waffle ice cream sundaes,” Luginbill. “I am most excited for people to try our product and to give us feedback. We got our idea after looking online we found some ideas. We were just going to start with waffles but then we got the idea of putting ice cream on top. I think that hardest part is going to be setting up and not getting stressed out.”

Economics teacher Robert Foshee shares why he has been putting on Econ Fair and the skills that he hopes they will learn.

“The Econ Fair has been going on for over 10 years,” Foshee said.” The purpose of the Entrepreneur Project is to give students hands-on experience learning about being an entrepreneur and the skills that go into it. Students will learn about budgeting, advertising, working with a partner, people skills, and good customer service. My favorite part of the Econ Fair is teaching the students all the different parts of the project and helping with any questions they have.”

Last year many students enjoyed purchasing student-made goods from their fellow classmates.

Students can participate in the econ fair at lunch in the FC gym on Wednesday, April 18.

For related articles check out last year’s econ fair at Econ Fair 2017.