Life lessons

I am a third generation Koleen here on campus. When I began attending here my first grade year, my sister Miranda, ?00, was starting junior high, and my eldest sister, Jamie, ?98, was just starting high school. We took the school by storm.

I take pride in the fact that I have learned important lessons from both my sisters. Their experiences in high school not only readied me, but also readied the school for me.

Jamie went through high school focused on work and her responsibilities. Miranda on the other hand went through school working hard for her social life. They both made friends and memories I am confident they do not regret today. They also are both successful and living gratifying lives despite their polar opposite approaches.

The things I have learned from both their choices and lives are very beneficial. As a result of my own lessons I advice current students to take my new knowledge to heart.

Students, take every opportunity to enjoy yourself in your time of security and confidence. Spend time with friends and make those memories you hear about the past generations experiencing in school. But look inward and determine when to take responsibility and show more maturity in decision-making.

Future seniors, life in high school does not always have to be completely filled with homework, studying or college prep. But they are all responsibilities that need to be dealt with.

Having a well-balanced life of present and future will highly benefit the ones willing to look ahead and remain a good example for those left behind. Time spent preparing in the present, will most definitely be repaid in the future.

While journalism has been beneficial in my high school career, no class has brought more joy or learning opportunities than student leadership. The life lessons gained from my leadership family are ones I will never forget and forever apply in my adulthood.

Student leadership taught me accountability and the rewards of self-sacrifice. Through time spent in selfless service, more of myself has developed than ever before.

Next year I will be attending Fresno State with the intent of transferring after general education.

Thanks for the opportunities Stobbe.