Attitude adjustment

My sophomore year was horrible. After a wonderful freshman year, nothing could compare. My brother had graduated and moved on from Fresno Christian and my choir director for four years had suddenly retired.

I did not succeed in any of my classes and I felt disconnected from school spirit the entire year. In fact the summer going into my junior year I had decided Fresno Christian was no longer the place for me, and registered to finish the last two years of high school at a pubic school.

One week before the first day of school at FCS, my genius plan fell through, and was left with a paper and my hand that read ?Fresno Christian High School Enrollment?.

Everything changed my junior year. After the first day of experiencing Mr. [Greg] Stobbe?s junior English class, I knew I would like at least one thing about being here. A change of attitude was needed and I believe I learned exactly that sitting though English class day after day. Although still, I was not doing too well in writing the many essays that were assigned.

One day before Christmas break, Stobbe asked me if I would like to join journalism. ?Uh? Stobb, what?s journalism??

Second semester my schedule had changed and I now found myself in a class I knew nothing about. To this day I still believe the reason I joined was just because I loved Stobbe, and trusted that hopefully he knew what he was talking about.

I love journalism. And now I actually know what it is. After a year and a half in journalism, I learned more than I have in my entire high school career. However, journalism has taught me more than just how to be a better writer.

Journalism has given me a desire to make a difference, a better understanding of the media, and has given me the opportunity to grow in communication. I also strongly believe that journalism has increased my ability to preserver.

None of this would have been accomplished without Stobbe. Journalism isn?t just an elective.

During the summer I will be involved in an internship with The Fresno Bee, thanks to senior Kira Armbruster, which I am looking forward to. Next year I will move on to Vanguard University and begin a new year on the journalism staff. I am extremely excited about what God has in store for Vanguard?s publications program. I know that I will be able to use everything I have learned in college and in the future.

If I could leave one thing behind, I would encourage underclassmen to make the most out of high school. It only comes once and, before you know it, you?ll be graduating.

Fresno Christian may be small, but is full of opportunities that should be taken advantage of. Mistakes are worth making if you learn from them. Don?t ditch, you?ll hate your life.

After 13 years at FC I walk away with excitement for the future.
Ps. 37:4