BREAKING: Spring Concert features campus choral department

Choirs prepare for final performance of the year

[/media-credit] After successfully singing with the National Youth Honor Choir at Carnegie Hall in April, the campus choirs and ensemble will sing a final time at the Spring Concert in the Peoples Church auditorium, May 14, at 7 p.m.

As the school year comes to a close, the choir concludes their season with an end of the year performance. All FC choral groups perform in a final home Spring Concert in the Peoples Church auditorium, May 14, at 7 p.m.

The elementary, junior high, and high school Cantiamo choir and ladies ensemble, Bellezza, plan to perform. According to campus choral director, Susan Ainley, Cantiamo made significant progression in the group’s abilities to sing and harmonize. Cantiamo began the year with simpler songs, but now are able to sing eight-part harmonies.

Ainley discusses the unique qualities each of her groups bring to the performance.

“Each group has something special to offer in this concert,” Ainley said. “The sweet, pure voices of the young children in elementary choir, the changing yet strong vocal talent of the junior high choir, the impressive sound of a large high school mixed choir, and the beautiful blended harmonies of the high school women’s choir will highlight the commitment that FC makes in supporting a comprehensive music education.”

Freshman Landon Bell explains what he anticipates for the concert and reflects on the year and the progression the choir has made.

“This is my first year in choir and I think that the songs we have been learning are really good,” Bell said. “We’ve been preparing these songs since we went to New York, all the songs that we sang in New York we will be singing in the concert. I’m just really excited to show what we got and I think everyone should just come out and support us because it’s going to be a great concert.”

Macy Thompson, ’19, appreciates Ainley’s commitment to her students in her strivings to improve their talents. Thompson anticipates singing “Swing Low Sweet Chariot” because she loves the tune and the lyrics.

“I have been singing with Mrs. Ainley ever since the 3rd grade, but I joined her choral department in 5th grade when I joined the elementary choir,” Thompson said. “I am excited about tonight’s performance because I love the songs that we are doing. I’m am super excited to share them with everyone who comes to the event.  She is super supportive and loves each and every one of us dearly. I think that the grandparents and parents will love this performance because the songs are all lively and sweet and have such a powerful message about the Lord and His great love for us!”

Both Ainley and accompanist Ben Certain are impressed with the growth in ability and commitment of the high school choir, Cantiamo. While some may have initially joined to participate in the NYC trip, all students improved their vocal and musical abilities.

This will be the final performance for the choir this year. Students are encouraged to come, support their peers and watch the performance, starting at 7 p.m. in the Peoples Church auditorium.

For more information about FC choir, read Choir takes New York: Day 1. For more articles, read BREAKING: CSF banquet to honor seniors, May 15.

Owen Monke can be reached via email and Twitter.