Bands bid director fairwell

With over twenty years invested on campus, Paul McEntee will be leaving his band director position for scenic Middleton, Idaho.

McEntee has made the decision to go and teach at Payette High School, the local public school in Middleton. There he will take control of all the music programs

?At Payette, I will be teaching the concert band and the jazz band,? McEntee said, ?as well as a guitar class, choir, and even a musical tech class, which is basically going to be a rock music class.?

McEntee?s family is already tied to the campus. His father, David McEntee, teaches both chemistry and biology, while his brother, Tom McEntee, is employed as the drama coach.

McEntee has been planning on moving for almost six months. Though the move has been finalized, even McEntee still questions the reasoning behind his big decision.

?I do not know why I am moving, because there are many right reasons to stay,? McEntee said. ?I guess it just seems like the right choice for my family.?

Through years of teaching the fifth through high school bands, as well as the jazz band, McEntee has personal hope for the kids he is leaving behind.

?I want the program here to continue to grow,? McEntee. ?I hope there will be a smooth transition to the next band teacher, too.?

McEntee hopes to instill the students at Payette with the same appreciation for music that he currently experienced on campus.

?I want the kids at this school to get excited about being in the music program,? McEntee said. ?I know that the marching band is a big deal for them, too.?

McEntee?s last concert was held on May 17. There, the fifth grade, the junior high, and the high school concert bands played their best for the crowd at Riverpark Bible Church.

?I thought all of the bands did really well,? McEntee said. ?It was a great way to finish the year.?

At the end of the concert, juniors Hannah Wilhelm and Samantha Grizz presented their director with a poster board of memories and a bag of fresh Idaho potatoes as a goodbye gift from the entire band.

?I am going to miss everyone so much,? McEntee said, ?but I will come back to visit someday.?

To contact McEntee or find out more about the band program, e-mail McEntee at [email protected].