Falcons provide Fresnans with alternative entertainment

Here in Fresno, ice hockey gets about as much attention as Fresno Christian cheer. That?s a shame, because we boast one of the most exciting hockey teams, and the number-eight cheer squad, in California.

Fresno Falcons hockey is one of the best-kept secrets in our city, and is a great leisure activity to boot. In a town were bowling and miniature golf is the only alternative to going to a movie, any other form of entertainment is welcome. Falcon?s games are cheap, not crowded, and amusing. The relaxed atmosphere makes you feel comfortable as soon as you enter the arena.

The last game I went to was amongst the more exciting sporting events I have ever attended, second only to Fresno Christian?s last second win over Firebaugh, 51-50, on Jan. 20 in basketball, concluding in JD?s game-winning shot.

Like basketball this Falcons game came down to last second heroics. The game had been a back and forth battle all night, and the war was just beginning. Fresno faced the Alaska Aces the team with the best record in their conference, on April 7.

The stage is set: it?s the conference finals. The Falcons are playing at home in the Savemart Center. The series is tied 1-1. The air is thick with anticipation, and I am happily seated between my friends, holding a large snow cone.

Since we were the first of 2,000 fans at Friday?s game, we received a free falcons team playoff photo and a ?Beat Alaska? cheer card courtesy of Big Bob?s New and Used Big Carpet.

The teams battled all night, with the falcons taking a 2-0 lead early in the first quarter. The Aces came back and tied the game at two apiece, and the crowd was momentarily quieted. The falcons then went up 3-2 with a goal in the third quarter by forward Fraser Clair. He had been in the penalty box for 2 minutes, and had not stepped out of the box for more than 2 seconds when he was passed the puck and then converted a one-on-one goal with the opposing goalie.

The stadium was roaring after Clair scored the goal to take the lead, but again was soon shushed when Alaska tied the game with 5 minutes to go. All signs pointed to overtime.

After a quick run by the zamboni over the ice, and a bathroom run for the fans, the overtime period was underway. The period was scoreless for about 4 minutes, and then the miracle on ice happened.

The Falcons were on the Aces net, pounding away the goal, and keeping the puck on their opponents? side. You just knew that if anything would happen, now would be the time.

All of a sudden, a Falcons goal bounced off the goaltender, and the puck was there, just slowly sliding in front, begging to be slapped in. It was then when forward John Wroblewski, flying vertical in the air, captivated the crowd with a slap shot to the top corner.

The overtime goal instantly gave Fresno the win, and the building erupted in celebration. You could barely hear yourself scream as the entire stadium rocked in jubilee. The falcons had taken a 2-1 series lead, and put themselves in position to beat a long time rival.

Home games take place at the Savemart Center, which is also the home of the Fresno State Bulldog basketball team. For more information on game times, go online to www.fresnofalcons.com and click on the Schedule icon.