Campus SAT scores amongst areas highest

To students getting a high score on the SAT (Standardized Achievement Test) is everything. But while some students review vocabulary and mull over mathematic equations, others lay on the couch content with munching away problems with a bag of chips.

The students who took the SATs from this campus seem to take the SATs seriously. The class of 2005 scored, on average, 1121. The score is just less than University High who had 1150, the highest average score in area schools.

?Our scores speak for themselves,? Superintendent Tim Wilkins said. ?You can look at them and make your own analysis; Fresno Christian?s average scores have been good for a long time.?

The work and effort put into these tests does have not gone unrecognized. The campus faculty seems to know and care about the students and their accomplishments and have provided adequate preparation.

?I am proud of the students,? Jon Endicott, associate principal, said. ?It is as much about the school as it is to the students.?

Clovis Unified scored a total of 1028; Buchanan High scored 1063, Clovis East had 929, Clovis High averaged 1003 and Clovis West with 1077. Some students who look at the scores are also able to see the work ethic, which reflects the scores.

?I think it is really cool that we are a good school,? Meghan Joy, ?07, said. ?High scores show that we have a pretty good work ethic.?

There are many reasons why scores were not posted but Wilkins, when asked by parents to post scores, gave into their demands.

?For years we did not post our scores because we screen our students,? Wilkins said. ?But parents asked and we decided to post it.?

At this campus children are screened and accepted. Some might say this gives a unfair advantage when scores are involved.

?Our mission is different then public schools,? Endicott said. ?Because we screen students we should have high scores. In some ways it is not fair because we interview them to be accepted.?

Some students think the preparation from the teachers can be helpful and worthwhile. Brian Kaiser, ?07, tells about how Greg Stobbe, English teacher, has been preparing him and his fellow classmates.

?Stobbe is constantly helping us,? Brian Kaiser, ?07, said. ?We are working hard and writing thesis statements and practice outlines often.?

For more information on preparing or signing up for SATs, go online to www.collegeboard.com or contact Endicott at [email protected].