Seymour scholarship rewards dedication

For parents who worry about the financial aspect of college, the Charles and Marian Seymour Memorial Scholarship has answered some prayer.

The Seymour Scholarship is offered to any California Scholarship Federation [CSF] student member in the region who meets certain requirements.

?I thought applying for this scholarship was worth my while,? Jennifer Schmidt, ?06, said. ?Applying wasn?t that hard I have to say that it was the easiest $1000 I?ve earned.?

The Seymour requires candidates to be a CSF seal bearer, fill out an extensive application and get three recommendation letters.

?When we look for a candidate we look for character because we already know that they are all academically qualified,” Molly Sargent, CSF state board member, said. “The students that have made it have put literally hundreds of hours of community service. We wanted the winner to be a quality person who would contribute to society in a positive way.?

Schmidt along with fellow senior Michelle DiBuduo were nominated by CSF adviser, Ellen King. In order for a nominated student to be a seal bearer, they must go through an application process.

?A seal bearer is a CSF student that qualified for CSF for four semesters,? King said. ?One of those semesters has to be in their senior year. The Seymour Scholarship is significant because it is a very high honor that you can get.?

The Seymour committee reads each application in the region. Ten applicants are then chosen as finalsits. At the regional spring conference, CSF state board members extensively interview those ten who were chosen.

Each scholar is then rewarded $1,250 and Seymour representatives will receive an additional $750. Over $67,000 is awarded each year to the finalists.

?At the interview they took all the finalists into a room and sat us at a big table,? Schmidt said. ?It is really nerve racking because they give you questions and you have to answer them with the most impressive thing you can think of. You also need to make sure that your answer is different than the others?

Schmidt will attend UC Davis’ medical program in the fall while DiBuduo plans on attending Fresno State.

For more information regarding CSF or the Seymour scholarship, contact King at 299-1695, ext. 13 or e-mail her at [email protected].