Acadec prepares for February competition

The process of Academic Decathlon (Acadec) preparation and competition is under way. This year’s challenge includes subjects such as country music, as well as an overview of different kinds of art. Also included in the competition are the traditional subjects of mathematics, economy, and a language/literature area that will involve poetry.

“The subjects are more in our favor this year than last,” Acadec adviser Molly Sargent said. “I feel that many of last year’s subjects were anti-Christian, and I am not exaggerating when I say that the inappropriateness brought about real moral issues.”

Perhaps the most extreme measure taken by the team in preparation for competition was the two days taken off of school to meet at Sargent’s house during November.

“The time at Mrs. Sargent’s house was spent mostly in testing, and at times it became quite tedious,” Nathan White, ’03 said. “I did enjoy the science and math, but I wish they tested on history and geography.”

The team tested on all subjects of competition, including the super quiz, which has to do with the Internet, particularly its history and future world impact.

The teams themselves are composed of three sections according to their grade point averages. There is the honors team, with students who hold a G.P.A. of 3.75 and above, the scholastic team, with a G.P.A. between 3.0 and 3.74, and a varsity team, with G.P.A. of 3.0 or below.

“This is my first year being in Acadec,” Melissa Morris, ’03 said. “I joined for the experience and the college credit.”

Only three people are allowed to compete in each section. The remaining members can compete in the same material and level as everyone else, but they are not eligible to accept awards.

Edison has traditionally been the top school in the competition. The year, Sargent’s team will be competing in division one.

“I am honored to be in division one,” Sargent said. “It is, however, much more difficult. I hope to make it in the top five, and I believe that if everyone worked to his or her potential, we could crack the top three.”

“I am really excited about competing in division one the year,” Morris said. “I think that the challenge is good for the team.”

The Acadec team will be competing with many other Valley high schools on the Fresno State campus, Feb. 2. For more information on Fresno County’s Academic Decathlon competition, go online at www.fcoe.k12.ca.us/ spc_proj/acadec/welcome.html.