BREAKING: See you at the Pole addresses issue through prayer, worship 

National event encourages campus fellowship

[/media-credit] Last year, city-wide youth group meeting for See You at the Pole was held at CrossCity Christian Church.

See You at the Pole (SYATP) is a nationwide morning of prayer. An estimated one million students a year show up early to their school’s flagpole for a morning of prayer for the new school year, the community, fellow classmates and the country as a whole.

FC students will be gathering for this event, Sept. 27 at 7 a.m. in the quad area of the campus for a time of prayer and worship. The theme for SYATP 2018 is “Broken”. Later, teens from all over the city will gather at Peoples Church auditorium for a city-wide SYATP event, starting at 6:30 p.m.

This nationwide event began with teenagers gathering together for a Disciple Now weekend in the early 1990s, and drove to three different schools that night. Because of the connections they made, they established an event that brought people together to pray and fellowship.

SYATP is solely focused on prayer over multiple topics. It gives students an opportunity to connect with classmates and express their faith.

Bekah Micu, ‘20, is planning on attending SYATP for a second time. She says she went to SYATP last year because she believes starting off the day with a time of worship and prayer is beneficial.

“I think people should go to SYATP because it’s just a great opportunity,” Micu said. “A time of singing, praying and encouraging one another is the best thing. I highly encourage everyone to come to SYATP.”

Kyle Clem, ‘21, did not go to SYATP last year. Clem feels the extra hour he gains by not going, outweighs the worship.

“We felt tired then we have to go to bed and the we have to wake up early all over again,” Clem said. “So having to wake up an extra hour earlier at the time it seems really nice to get that extra hour of sleep, while everyone else is doing that.”

“For this reason I kneel before the Father.” — Ephesians 3:14, See You at the Pole 2018 theme verse

Student body chaplain Avery Jones, ‘20, helps organize the campus SYATP event. She loves the community of being able to sing and pray together for things more important than herself.

“I absolutely love singing and praying with my fellow classmates because it’s amazing to see what God is doing in everyone’s lives,” Jones said. “Praying gives us the chance to connect with others.”

Student leadership advisor Robert Foshee helps organize SYATP each year.

“I am one of the teachers that help organize it but the students are ultimately the ones running the event,” Foshee said. “What I like most about SYATP is that the students voluntarily come to pray for their community, fellow students, and school. I enjoy the fact that it is student-led, both in leading prayer and putting together the worship. See You at the Pole is another way for the school to come together as a body and worship Jesus.”

To see last years SYATP article, read See You at the Pole rallies student response. For more articles, read Kayla Fermanian returns to FCS for her senior year.

Cohl Obwald can be reached via email.