Summer camp excites cheer

Even though school ended, the varsity and junior varsity cheer squads practiced throughout the summer for a pay off at camp.

For the second year in a row, the varsity cheer squad attended the FCC (Fellowship of Christian Cheerleaders) camp at Azusa Pacific. Along with winning other awards the girls earned, the first place for the Varsity Spirit Routine award.

Unlike last year, the JV squad was able to join varsity to learn new stunts and cheers.

?The girls did better at camp this year,? coach Katie Mendenhall, said. ?They acted more like leaders.?

After a four-day week at camp, the cheer team came home on July 27, with awards and a bid to attend the national competition in Orlando, Florida.

?If we nail the routine at the level of difficulty that it is,? captain Barbara Krikorian, ?07, said. ?We will definitely place higher than last year at nationals.?

The girls brought in a choreographer from Texas, who has never choreographed a routine which placed lower than fifth. Although the dance and stunts seemed difficult, the squad plans to execute them with perfection.

?I think that our squad has progressed since last year in the since that we are able to do more advanced stunts,? captain Alisa Reynolds, ?07, said. ?We grew closer as a squad over the summer.?

Despite the 92-degree weather, the squad stayed energized and made the top of the judge?s list. Winning the Overall Camp ?Spirit Award,? and two All-American nominees (Heather Neel and Taryn Brown) the squad prepares to jump-start the year.

Cheer will be at all home and away football games in the fall perfecting their technique and leading the FC faithful.

For more information on the awards won by the cheer squad, visit www.fresnochristian.com; sports