New students adapt, contribute

A student walks through the hallways of his new school as the bell starts to ring. He runs to his class with the hopes that no one will stop him along the way. He enters the class with everyone?s eyes on him. What to do?

A typical day for a new student involves meeting their teachers and exploring their classes for the year.

?The teaching methods are about the same from my old school,? Nova Konstantia, ?08, said. ?My teachers back in Indonesia were more strict.?

However, the new students on campus seem to adjust and adapt more quickly than expected.

?It was weird being back in the classroom after being home schooled for a while,? Kelsey Mortson, ?07, said. “It was a quick adjustment though. I really am liking it.?

The laid back nature on campus helps new students adjust to their new classroom environment.

?There is no uniform here; we can wear sandals, eat in class, and girls can wear makeup,? Konstantia said. ?This is completely different from my old school; I really like this school because of that.?

Some students transferred from smaller schools and also enjoy the adjustments.

?Lunch is the best part for me,? Carlo Carcavallo, ?09, ?The social aspect is better here than my old school, and there are more people here and people are more nice.?

Some have yet to adjust to the small campus. Those who transferred will miss extra activities larger campuses provide to their students.

?I?m going to miss the dances,? Alyssa Collet, ?10, said. ? They are really fun and it?s a good social event.?

Contributions to school spirit on campus will also be a success by new students during the year and the student cheering section, the Nuthouse, is one way to start.

?I try my best to be a part of the Nuthouse,? Mortson said. ?The away games are hard to go to for me, but I do plan on being a part of it when I can.?

Yet the new students will fill the halls and soon will contribute to the spirit, academics, and social aspects on campus joining their counterparts in creating a combined high school spirit.