Seniors struggle with class movie

Few people grasp the intense months of work that go into producing a successful film. From coordinating logistics to writing scripts, a filmmaker’s life is one of stress and pressure. Yet, in the minds of some, the creativity movie making allows makes it all worthwhile.

For the senior class, struggles with organization threaten to cloud the creative process.

“We’ve been kind of struggling this year,” Kyle Gentz, ’05, class movie director, said. “Last year our film literally came together in one night, but hopefully this year we can be more organized. One thing working in our favor is that all our actors can drive now, so transportation is not an issue.”

In years past, the struggle has been the same but was eased by parent involvement.

“Sophomore year we had parents help us by driving us around to different locations but otherwise they refused to get involved at all,” Gentz said.

Although transportation is not a worry, there are still definite needs that are adding to the heap of possibilities and deadlines.

This year’s production team includes seniors Gentz, Caleb Thiesen, Janet Cranfield, Carina Moran, Alex Elmore and Kevin Reed.

“We’re still in the process of casting members of the senior class,” Moran said. “We really need some willing and available volunteers who will be able to sacrifice their weekends and days off for filming.”

Other than the casting issues, there is a need for willing volunteers.

“This year, because we have a lot of working seniors, it’s hard to coordinate our filming schedule around their work schedules,” Thiesen said. “But we seem to be getting things done on time these days.”

The secret name for the senior production was discovered and is being reported as “Project: Fog Beast”.

“The name we had originally was too, too something horrible, so we came up with this discrete name to disguise the true identity of the film and it’s plot,” Gentz said.

This year’s Night of the Stars event will be held at The Copper River Country Club on Feb. 12. Tickets go on sale Tues. Jan. 18th for $40 until the 31st. After the 31st tickets will cost $45.

For more information on Night of the Stars and other campus activities, parents and students can contact the high school office at 299-1695, ext. 5 or Josh Tosland, student leadership advisor, at [email protected].