Fresno Area College Night offers aid, information

Some high school students consider college a fearful place, full of deadlines for applications, perfecting transcripts, college choices, and financial aid.

In order to combat these college related phobias, the Fresno County Office of Education will again host the annual Fresno Area College Night on Sept. 13.

“Having the college night gives the students a lot of information,” Jon Endicott, associate principal, said. “It motivates them to start looking at colleges and see what they like and prefer.”

The college night will be held at the Fresno Convention Center in the Exhibit Hall in downtown Fresno from 6-9 P.M.

“Sometimes it is difficult for students to handle,” Endicott said. “It overwhelms them because there are so many colleges, but I like it because it shows that they have a lot of work to do.”

Over 100 colleges will attend with an individual booth, which contains two representatives with information. The Fresno Country of Education also provides information for parents; they offer special sessions and an orientation from 5:30-6:30 P.M.

“I have not gone before but I am expecting it to be enjoyable,” Micaelah Aleman, ’08, said. “I am looking for a good college that suits me, hopefully I can get a better idea of what I want at college night.”

Last year over 5,000 high school students found information, turnout is expected the same for this year. Although many colleges are from out of town and state, there will be large displays of Fresno State, Fresno City and Fresno Pacific University.

“This gives students a perfect opportunity to talk to all these colleges in one place,” Principal Gary Shultz said. “Its great because without it all you can do is research about it or drive to the college to talk to someone, this way it saves time and money.”

The Peoples Church plans to host a college night in their gym for students primarily interested in Christian colleges on Sept. 28.

“I have been to a college night before,” Aaron Ortiz, ’07, said. “It was beneficial because I learned about scholarship and financing.”

Created for both interested and apathetic high school students, college night offers information to students willing to attend.

“I did not know a college night existed,” Michael Prentice said. “I’m never planning on going to anything college related.”

For more information contact Jennifer Quinn, special project coordinator, at (559) 265-3014.