Accreditation significance exceeds policies, standards

This school year holds particular significance for students, parents, teachers, and administration alike during the campus’ 30th year.

Every six years, a lengthy evaluation for WASC (Western Association of Schools and Colleges) accreditation takes place. In the past, questions concerning school policies and standards, everything from parking lots to bathroom facilities, are answered and analyzed to achieve the highest possible level of accreditation.

Last year, campus administration applied for a new sort of accreditation. With this new system, approximately eight accreditors come and evaluate the classrooms. This new process will save even more time for teachers to continue their teaching in the classroom, instead of spending hours answering repetitive questions.

The accreditation was scheduled to occur last year, but due to preparation issues with the new system, the process was postponed because the professionals needed more time for the most recent changes; but for good reason, the new, innovative system saves invaluable time for teachers.

While many have heard the word, many students do not know why accreditation applies to them.

?I know what accreditation means, but I?m not certain on all the details and benefits of it,? Whitney Stipe, ?08, said.

Because many students do not know why accreditation affects them, Principal Gary Schultz plans to hold a chapel assembly to explain accreditation. He will show how it benefits the students, and the process of accreditation. This assembly is planned to come sometime in September or October.

Accreditation is an important matter for students, no matter if they know what it means or otherwise. For seniors, graduating from accredited schools gives them a far better chance at being accepted to the colleges they would like to attend.

?I believe that accreditation is very important for my future,? David Tusan, ?07, said. ?I?m planning to go to college, and graduating from an accredited school is really going to keep my college options open.?

This year, administration is preparing for the accreditors who will spend time on campus from Nov. 28-Dec. 1, 2006.

?We plan to treat these professionals as honored guests on our campus,? Superintendent Tim Wilkins, said. ?That includes a fine hotel, meals, and great Fresno Christian hospitality.?

?We?d like to put our best foot forward,? Principal Schultz said.? Just as any guest, we hope that the students realize why the accreditation board being at our school is beneficial to them, and that the students can be on good behavior to treat these people as guests.?

Accreditation affects the students this school year, no matter if they know what it means or not. This year, there will be a half school day once a month in order for teachers to prepare for the accreditation process. The first half-day will be on Sept. 13, with the next scheduled for Oct. 11.

Students too will be involved with the accreditation process while the professionals are on campus.

?The students will know they?re here,? Wilkins said. ?As they come into the classrooms, they will be conversing with leadership, faculty, the board, administration and the parents.?

Accreditation years have been successful in the past. FC has been accredited for the maximum six years three times before. For such an important matter, students, administration, and parents alike hope that this year will be no exception.

For more information on why accreditation benefits students, go online to read the Aug. 29, 2005, article, Accreditation year affects students, teachers, parents by Taylor Torrence.

For more information concerning the Western Association of Schools and Colleges, visit www.acswasc.org.