Over 500 grandparents share school experience

The administration invited all grandparents to visit their grandchildren and enjoy a free lunch for the 15th annual Grandparents Day on Sept. 8.

To uphold tradition the home economics class baked peanut butter, oatmeal raisin, brown sugar walnut, chocolate chip and snicker doodle cookies for the grandparents.

?The home ec. class baked cookies for the grandparents,? Nichole Bos, ?07, said. ?I thought it was a good idea for the students make cookies for the grandparents because they got to taste all the yummy cookies we made for them and for them to see what we’ve done in class.?

Cookie preparation was Aug. 28- Sept. 7, the class made 100 dozen cookies.

“Tim Wilkins (superintendent) wanted the students to get involved with the lunch for Grandparents Day,” Sharon Scharf, home ec. teacher, said. “The grandparents got to see what the students have done in class and try the cookies they made.”

Grandparents enjoyed spending time with their grandchildren and, in the process, learned about campus atmosphere.

“I enjoyed grandparents day very much because I love being with my grandchildren,” Betty Kister, freshman and junior grandparent, said. “I’m interested on what they do in their classes. I was impressed with the teachers and on what they were teaching the kids.”

Some students found Grandparents Day was an opportunity to brag.

?I wanted my grandparents to come to Grandparents Day,? Andrew Biehler, ?08, said. ?I bragged on how good my grandma’s cooking is. It was also fun to see everyone?s grandparents.?

Approximately 500 grandparents attended, students used Grandparents Day to spend extra time with grandparents.

?I wanted my grandparents to come to Grandparents Day,? Tyler Graham, ?09, said. ?My grandparents have attended Grandparents Day since I was in kindergarten.?

Some enjoyed the food aspect of Grandparents Day, which was held in Peoples Church gym.

?I loved Grandparents Day,? Carson Hopper, ?08, said, ?because my grandparents took me out to lunch and it was free.?

Students without grandparents found a way to experience Grandparents Day.

?My grandparents passed away,? Stephanie Major, ?08, said, ?but I still found ways to enjoy Grandparents Day with my friends.?

Teachers found the experience of Grandparents Day gave them a sense of family.

“I thought Grandparents Day was great for our campus to do because school is not always about school it’s about family,” Scott Falk, campus pastor, said. “When grandparents come it helps the teachers and students get the sense of family, is with them and that your family supports our school.”

Grandparents listened to a brief presentation in Ground Zero followed by two-three classes with their grandchild before lunch.

For more information about Grandparents Day, contact the high school office at 559-299-1695, ext. 5.