Excitement builds for Lord of the Rings

With the coming of the holiday season, most students think of Christmas, love, peace on earth and The Lord of the Rings. The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring, the first book in the epic trilogy of literary masterpieces written by J.R.R. Tolkien, is turning visual as its release is planned for Dec. 19.

“I can remember reading the books back in 6th grade,” Sam Fisher, ’03, said. “I thought I was the only one reading them but soon a lot of people were talking about it and it made my interest in the trilogy grow because I could talk about it with other people. I believe the movie will be tight and hopefully it will live up to the books greatness.”

This feature film excites people who have read the books and experience the magic of J.R.R. Tolkien.

“I read Fellowship of the Ring and if this movie follows the book closely, this movie will have no one following it closely in greatness,” Rene Roy Charest, ’04, said. “I also can’t wait to see how they portray the mines of Moria because that is a great part.”

Students who have not read the books are also excited about the release.

“I haven’t read the books, but this movie looks cool,” Morgan Rigby, ’02, said. “The previews are awesome and the movie looks like it is well worth eight bucks.”

Not only are students waiting impatiently for the release, but also some teachers are looking forward to seeing the visual version of the books they knew and loved as a child.

“I am looking forward to this movie for many reasons,” Chris Schultz, video productions adviser, said. “One of them is that this movie will feature many cool, new, and ground breaking shots that have to do with animation and special effects. When I was a kid I remember reading the books with such excitement and turning pages with such anticipation and I hope that the movie can live up to those same feelings that the book gave me.”

Schultz traveled to England after college and walked in the same forest and visited the same pub that the author J.R.R. Tolkien spent most of his time thinking about his books.

With the recent release of ‘Lord of the Rings light up goblets and toys’ from Burger King, many students realize how close they are to premiere.

“These Burger King toys are bigger than Lord of the Rings,” Caleb Janca, ’02, said. “They help build up my excitement for the amazing first showing on Dec. 19.”

However, some people are not happy about the release of the movie.

“I haven’t read the books but I don’t think they should release this movie,” Ashley Knepper, ’03 said. “Elijah Wood is an actor that I wouldn’t touch with a ten-foot pole, let alone put him in a movie.

The movie, which many believe will have a record breaking first week in ticket sales, will be produced by New line Cinemas