FC runs out of time in Morro Bay

As the battle on the pitch raged, the Eagles’ band played and over 260 students packed into Morro Bay High School’s stadium. And with only 15 of the Eagles able to play, FC football suffered their third loss of the season losing 30-25 to Mission Prep on Sept. 15.

The first quarter showed promise for the Eagles. But the Eagles’ 13-9 lead was short-lived.

?We were leading in the first quarter, but we let them score back-to-back touchdowns,? Paris Smith, ?07, said. ?Our two corners got hurt so I had to sub for a position I didn?t really know.?

In the second quarter the Royals passed over Eagle defense to score two touchdowns. Also in the second quarter Smith received injuries to both knees while on defense. He continued to play at all his positions without substitution with these injuries. As running back, Smith took the ball averaging 8.5 yards per carry.

?You could tell that Paris was hurting; he was hurting bad,? J.D. Perry, ?07, said. ?But he had to work through the pain because there were no replacements.?

The Eagles failed to score any touchdowns in the second and third quarters. They scored two rushing touchdowns in the fourth quarter and held the Royals on defense.

?We couldn?t score on offense until the fourth quarter,? Perry said. ?But we came back and almost won the game; we just ran out of time.?

As quarterback, Perry ran the ball 15 times for a total of 101 yards to score three touchdowns. He also passed for 67 yards.

Despite their efforts in the fourth quarter, the clock undid the Eagles who simply ran out of time. The Royals took a knee to pass the time and took a delay of game to further run down the clock.

New players are expected to add hope to the Eagles? team the remainder of the season. Derek Weir, ’07, will rejoin the team on the offensive line as well as Jeremy Ramos, ’07, as a receiver. Both return and are eligible to play within the next two weeks.

FC next hosts Riverdale at Clark Intermediate in Clovis on Sept. 22 with the JV game at 5:30 P.M. and the varsity kicking off at 7 P.M. Students who bring their ID cards can enter for free. Tickets cost $4 for adults or for those who do not have campus ID cards.

After the football game, students are invited to attend the 5th Quarter at Luna’s Pizzeria in oldtown Clovis for an all-you-can-eat buffet until 11:30 P.M.