BREAKING: Boys basketball prepares for 2018-’19 season

Varsity team strives to make playoffs, improve record

After a long summer of practice and games, the boys varsity basketball team strives to make a deep playoff run this season. The Eagles finished last year with an overall record of 12-16 and 3-7 in league play.

[/media-credit] Boys basketball begins official practice for the 2018 season, Nov. 5.

Head coach Jon Penberthy returns for his fifth season of coaching the boys varsity team. He sets high standards for this year’s squad.

“We have very high expectations, we expect to win league and be a high seed for playoffs,” Penberthy said. “We will be looking to score a lot,  along with lots of fast breaks. They work together very well. Sometimes your best offense is a good defense and sometimes your best defense is a good offense. We are still trying to figure out what our identity will be, but we expect to work very hard on defense to give us an easy opportunity on offense.”

Two year varsity player Suky Cheema, ‘19, will try and lead his team to a run at valley championship. Cheema has been playing basketball since the age of 11 and he loves playing in front of a big crowd. 

“I’ve been playing basketball at Fresno Christian for four years now, two on JV and two on varsity,” Cheema said. “My favorite part of basketball would have to be the atmosphere. When you’re playing in front of a packed crowd and you make a big shot, the roar of the crowd is the best thing to hear after that shot. It really does put the cherry on top of everything. One of the goals I’m setting for myself is to win league MVP, get first team all-league and be apart of the senior valley game. And as for the team, we all have the same goal in mind and that is to win a valley championship.”

Another two-year varsity player, Landon Goldsborough, ‘19, wants to set a good example for the newer players as a senior leader.

“I’ve been playing basketball since I was eight years old,” Goldsborough said. “My favorite part about basketball is the ability to be crafty and creative with the plays. I can play all five positions but I normally play forward. I like playing forward because of all the different opportunities there are to score. My goal for this year is to make it to the valley championship.”

However, not everyone playing basketball will be on varsity. Hayden Trevino, ‘22, plans to play his first season on junior varsity.

Trevino talks about his goal for the season.

“I’ve played basketball since the fourth grade,” Trevino said. “I’m hoping to get better at offense and practice my defensive skills. I want to learn more than just the physical part of basketball, I also want to know the mental part. I will try to do a better job of controlling my emotion on the court.”

The varsity team will have their first preseason game at home against Firebaugh High School at 6:30 p.m., Nov. 27.

For more articles, read EDITORIAL: Should ministers be millionaires? and Cancer survivor Lindsay Weimer shares about overcoming obstacles.

This author can be reached via email and Twitter.