College Night insightful for attendees

Christian college representatives from all across the country and Canada gathered in the Peoples Church gym on Sept. 28 to inform high school students about the benefits of attending a private Christian college.

Over 350 students from around the Fresno area attended the Christian College Fair in order to familiarize themselves with some of the 35+ schools competing for applicants this fall.

?I wanted to learn what schools at the college fair have good academics and good extra curricular activities,? Danielle Wilbourn, ?08, said.

Two goals admissions officers had in participating in college fairs were first to inform students about the college they represent, and second, to develop connections with students.

?I am trying to expose students to the majors we offer and community life while attending Simpson University,? Joana Campos, admissions counselor, said.

In just over a month and a half, these representatives have visited six to ten Christian high schools a week in order to introduce their college as an option among potential applicants.

?We started in Modesto and will end in Bakersfield,? Campos said. ?Later we?ll be traveling to LA.?

Christian college representatives often speak at high schools and youth groups as a technique to increase enrollment numbers. College fairs also serve as a main method of recruitment.

?Participation in college fairs is a very vital aspect to the process,? Rob Bovey, admissions counselor from Corban College, said. ?It does a lot to establish name recognition among high schools.?

Representatives ensure for their college numerous fresh applicants by participating in college fairs and sparking the interest of potential attendees.

?Of the schools attending the college fair I am interested in applying to Westmont, Whitworth, and possibly Cal Baptist,? attendee Matthew Nickel, ’08, said.

Although the task of searching for the right college may be daunting and tedious, college fairs help to relieve a bit of the uncertainty which holds many high school students back from making an informed decision.

?The college fair has definitely been helpful,? Nickel said. ?I got stuff in the mail before, but I still didn?t know much about the colleges. Talking to the representatives gave me insight on what many of the schools are all about.?

For more information about these colleges visit:
www.gordon.edu/admissions.com
1-866-464-6736
www.simpsonuniversity.edu
1-888-9-SIMPSON | toll free
www.corban.com
1-800-845-3005