BLOG: Girl Talk-First Dates

Juniors Annabelle Messer and Megan LeBlanc begin the blog series, “Girl Talk” covering issues spotlighting the triumphs and struggles from the female perspective. Check out their second blog, Nov. 1.

We all create the perfect idea of what our first date would consist of. Whether it is something extravagant such as a walk on the beach or something more calming such as getting coffee, the ideas girls design become limitless. The curiosity in girls mind build, contemplating who, when, where and how their first date will occur.

[/media-credit] Girls find that first dates can be daunting but exciting.

While getting asked out on a date may be nerve-racking for girls, it is not as easy for the boys as we might think. Angel Ruelas, ’20, talks about when he asked a girl on a date and gives advice to boys who are thinking of the same idea.

“I would be very straight forward with her,” Ruelas said. “I was a little nervous but if you really like her then go for it! The worst thing she could say is no.”

Coming from a perspective of someone who has never been on a date, freshman Ashley Logan explains how she prefers to get asked and what she would want to do.

“I have never been on a date before,” Logan said. “A cute way to be asked would be with flowers and in person because it would be more meaningful. I would probably want to go to dinner so you can talk and get to know each other better. You would just to hang out with them instead of like a movie.”

Every girl’s expectation for their first date differs from each other. Based on their preferences, ideas stir in their minds as to what their first date would consist of. Some girls long for a romantic evening and big gestures while some girls prefer a more quiet evening alone with their date.

Toryn Triplitt, ’20, talks about her first date and what she feels a successful relationship should consist of.

“My first date is when school first got out.” Triplitt said. “He came and picked me up and we went to Chick-fil-A because that is my favorite restaurant. He had never been before so we went there and then we went back to my house and just talked. After that, we went and saw my horse because he wanted to see her and it was great.

“Yeah, of course I was nervous but it got easier as time went on,” Triplitt continued. “Do not overthink it and do not try and impress them. Just be yourself. If you are not even comfortable with the guy then you should not be going on a date with him.”

When it comes to dating, people have choices on how they approach it. Some choose to not date at all while others are always seeking that special person. Our society believes that not having a boyfriend/girlfriend is abnormal. Dating is not a requirement, it should be saved for a serious relationship that leads to marriage. Most people also think that the guy should ask the girl. There is nothing wrong with the girl stepping up to ask the guy and taking initiative.

First dates provide an opportunity to get to know another person and see if you are compatible. Going to a movie on a first date does not set up a time to connect with each other and get to know one another. If you become stuck on ideas for your date, here are some places that allow you to get to know each other while still having a fun time:

Amusement park

Picnic

–       Hiking

Star gazing

Bowling

Go to the zoo

Go to lunch/dinner

Miniature golf

Go to coffee

Teacher Kimberly Bell tells an entertaining story about her first date and her view of dating in high school.

[/media-credit] When it comes to dating, people have choices on how they approach it. Some choose to not date at all while others are always seeking that special person.

“My first date was in the sixth grade,” Bell said. “I remember it very vividly. I was super nervous because I was only 12 and I really liked this boy. A funny story I often tell about that time was he ordered pizza for us and he thought he was such a big shot that he ordered pizza for me. He took the reins and ordered himself, so he said, ‘We want a salami pizza,’ and I thought to myself, ‘Who orders salami pizza? I don’t want salami pizza.’ So, our pizza came and we were having a fine conversation and in the middle of our conversation I said something to make him laugh and he laughed by blowing hard out of his nose. A booger flew out of his nose and landed on his shirt but he did not know. It was dangling there for a long time until I got the courage up to tell him that he had a little booger on his nose.

“I definitely do not recommend sixth grade or even junior high for dating,” Bell continued. “I think it needs to be saved for when you are old enough and mature enough to be able to handle all the feelings that go along with it. In high school, especially in those older years, I think it is fine as long as they are mature enough to handle it.”

2 Corinthians 6: 15 says, “And what harmony can there be between Christ and the devil? How can a Christian be a partner with one who does not believe?” The Bible tells us that dating someone who is a Christian should become a priority for us. Not dating a Christian provides conflict and does not form unity between the two. Dating longs for unity and the ability to completely be yourself. If those key factors cannot be found in a relationship, the connection with that person becomes more distant and lost.

For more blogs by LeBlanc and Messer, read Girl Talk-Sadies and Girl Talk-Trust.

Megan LeBlanc can be reached via Twitter and via email.