BREAKING: First soccer game, Nov. 20

Soccer teams start first game of the season

With the fall sport season coming to an end, winter sports jump into action this upcoming week. The football field gets repainted and set up for the upcoming soccer season. The teams prepare for their first preseason game, Nov. 20, and hope for a positive season start.

[/media-credit] Avery Jones, ’20, throws the ball into play during a game, Feb. 24.

The girls soccer team welcomes eight new players in hopes of rebuilding the program after the loss of many seniors last season. Newcomer Kayla Vanderlinden, ’20, shares her thoughts on the first game and why fans coming to support the game benefits the team.

“I think the team will do well this year,” Vanderlinden said. “Since we lost so many seniors last year, it will be a rebuilding year. I am feeling nervous for tomorrow’s game because I have not played since junior high and I don’t want to mess up. It’s important for fans to come support because it helps us to know we have people cheering for us.”

Restarting their season off with a new coach, the boys soccer team dedicates effort and hard work to improve their play and to start their season off strong. One of three seniors, Reese Brown, tells his view of the team’s dedication and how fans coming to games makes an impact on the players.

“The team has put in so much effort over the past four weeks, it’s incredible,” Brown said. “Everyone including our coach is dedicated to improvement and I cannot wait for people to see that in our first game. It is important for our fans to come out because it is always nice to look into the crowd and see people cheering you on.”

Both teams play on the FC home field against Laton. The boys play first at 4 p.m. and the girls team follow, playing at 6 pm.. Make sure to dress warm and come out to support your Eagles!

For more articles, read Renowned journalist David Epstein lectures at SJV Town Hall and Alumni players participate in annual soccer practice.

Megan LeBlanc can be reached via Twitter and via email.