Breaking: Varsity girls basketball hosts tournament, Nov. 19-20

[/media-credit] Hannah Villines, ’21, dribbles down the court at a home basketball game.

Girls basketball begins preseason games, looks for deep run in playoffs

As the balls flush through the net and the buzzers go off, the gym switches from volleyball season to now basketball season in the gym.

Winter sports are starting up, as the girls basketball team practice week days after school along with their practices starting back in August. They work through drills, plays, and condition to prepare for their upcoming season. They play in their first tournament, Nov. 19-20 in the FC gym.

The Eagles play the Le Grand Bulldogs in their first match, Nov. 19 at 6:00 p.m. The Coast Union Broncos play the Eagles in their second game, Nov. 20, at 7:30 p.m.

As the team welcomes five new freshman with six returning seniors, they hope to win their first preseason games. In preparation for this tournament, the girls scrimmaged Orange Cove high school  and Central Valley Christian high school, Nov. 17.

Senior captain Ashley Zamarripa began playing basketball in first grade and shares her excitement for this season.

“I am excited for the season because I want to see how our team bonds this year and how it shows up on the court,” Zamarripa said. “I think this season will be fun because we have a lot of new players that will show good playing time this year.”

Assistant coach Mike Zamarripa discusses what the team has been working on during practices and what he is expecting this season.

“We have been working on offense and defensive formations,” Mike said. “I am hoping that we win league this year and compete in playoffs.  I’m excited to see our team grow this year and compete for a valley championship. I think our biggest competition this season will be WCPA.”

Winning overall 16 out of 22 games last season, the team looks to improve their record this year. Captain Macie Thompson, ’19, talks about the teams strengths and weaknesses.

“We are getting along so well and people are getting the plays very nicely,” Thompson said. “I think our strength this year will totally be our defense and our awesome bonds on the team. I don’t really think we have a weakness. We have some new players this year and some who have never played before which is awesome because they can continue the program and keep it growing after the seniors leave! I can’t wait to see what this season holds.”

Both the varsity boys and girls play their next game against the Orange Cove Titans at Orange Cove Tuesday, Nov. 27.

For more sports promos, check out BREAKING: First soccer game, Nov. 20.

For more articles, check out WWII veteran Dr. Fitzalbert Marius encourages students toward service.

Annabelle Messer can be reached via email or Twitter.