Alumni memories linger long after graduation

The memories made in the classroom, on the court, or on a field trip often transform an ordinary four years into an unforgettable high school experience.

Back in the early 1980s, many like Lynda Goorabien attended Fresno Christian when the school first opened on Dakota and Cedar.

?I don?t remember if I enrolled at Fresno Christian because my mom taught there or because I chose to go there,? Goorabien said. ?All I know is my mom wanted me to get a Christian education.?

Even though parents, like Goorabien?s raise their expectations for a private school, students still found ways to rebel.

?Some of my fondest memories were made when pulling pranks on my teachers,? Goorabien said. ?I remember when my teacher, Mrs. (Joan) Becker, was presenting a lesson and students in the class started to disappear from the room.

“There was a closet by the pencil sharpener and when students stood up to sharpen their pencils they chose to hide in the closet instead of returning to their seats. Mrs. Becker was surprised to find that more than half the class was missing a couple minutes later.?

Although Goorabien?s children are enrolled at public school, her niece, Jennifer Sherfield, ?08, now attends Fresno Christian.

?I knew my Aunt Lynda graduated from Fresno Christian, but I never bothered to ask her about her high school experiences,? Sherfield said. ?I wish I could get away with pulling pranks on my teachers!?

While many graduates moved away, Ericlee Gilmore, ?92, chose to return to his roots and teach at his alma mater.

?I thought I could have been more of a witness at a public school,? Gilmore said. ?After days of thought and persuasion from coach (Chris) Schultz, I decided to apply for a job at Fresno Christian and I was hired.?

The years spent throughout junior high and senior high school allowed Gilmore the opportunity to make many memories, but one memory still sits in the trophy case.

?The highlight of my high school years was when our basketball team won the first valley championship in our school?s history during my senior year,? Gilmore said. ?I had never won a championship in anything before and it was an awesome sense of accomplishment.?

When Dr. Todd Ardnt approached his high school years in the mid 1980s, there was no doubt in his mind on what school he wanted to attend.

?My older brother went to Immanuel (Reedley, CA) and I did not want to be associated with him,? Ardnt said. ?I already had friends registered at Fresno Christian and it seemed like a valuable opportunity for me.?

When Ardnt graduated in 1988, he always remembered the influence Fresno Christian had on his life.

?My teachers probably made the most dramatic impact,? Ardnt said. ?I still remember my classmates and me discussing sports with Mr. (Allen) Tong and Mrs. (Eunie) McEntee teasing me during P.E. about how she was going to set me up with her niece.?

While the highlight of Ardnt?s high school years were spent hanging out with friends, Eric Witters?, ?04, was the field trip he took junior year.

?I thoroughly enjoyed the journalism trip to New York,? Witters said. ?I will never forget the memories made in the seminars at Columbia University, the basketball game in Madison Square Gardens or the Broadway shows.?

Even though Witters now attends Fresno State University, he still stays involved in the basketball program on campus.

?It?s a great school and I love to coach,? Witters said. ?When coach Schultz approached me about assisting with Amateur Athletic Union basketball this summer I knew I couldn?t pass up the opportunity.?

In honor of the school?s 30th anniversary, The Feather invites and encourages alumni to send in stories or photos from the past school years.

?I would be jazzed to read about our alumni on The Feather,? Superintendent Tim Wilkins said. ?Glancing at old photos or reading stories about how Fresno Christian has impacted students lives always peeks my interest.?

Alumni are requested to e-mail all stories or photos to [email protected].

For more information regarding FCS, call (559) 299-1695, ext 100, or visit www.thefeather.com.