Christmas season activities, Dec. 1-25

Find a favorite December activity to share with a friend

[/media-credit] Christmas Tree Lane is celebrating its 95th year as Fresno’s oldest Christmas lane decorated with lights. Join the throng as thousands will participate on walk nights, Dec. 1 and 11.

Weather grows colder, cars gain frost overnight. Bundled up, brisk wind hits the skin with a freezing sensation. Christmas trees, lights, and decorations shine at an abundance of homes and locations. Christmas carolers sing from door to door, spreading Christmas cheer. In some places there may even be snow; the season of Christmas is upon us.

The following list spotlights winter events and activities in the Central Valley. They are in no particular order. Read through the list for favorite activities.

Christmas Tree Lane:

From Dec. 1 through Dec. 25, the longest running holiday event in the nation will be shining bright once again. This will be the 95th year Fresno displays the near two-mile span of Christmas lights and displays between Shields and Shaw on Van Ness Avenue in Fresno. Lights will turn on Sunday-Thursday from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. and Friday-Saturday from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. Walk nights will be on Dec. 1 and Dec. 11.

Cut your own Christmas Tree:

At Hillcrest in Reedley, people can cut down their own Christmas tree and go on a train ride now up until Dec. 16.

[/media-credit] For 26 years, Cindy Lane near Alluvial and Peach avenues in Clovis has delighted Fresno County residents with over 100 houses and yards brightly decorated from Dec. 1 through Dec. 25.

Cindy Lane:

A lesser known Christmas lights and displays is Cindy Lane in Clovis. From Dec. 1 to Dec. 25, 6p.m.-10 p.m. near the neighborhood of Alluvial and Peach, the lane is open to all spectators; drivers, pedestrians and bike riders.

On Dec. 4, mentor-ship program “Sister to Sister” will be viewing Cindy Lane to engage with each other and get ready for the upcoming Christmas season.

FCS senior Kayla Fermanian and her “little sister” Rachel Martin, ’24, plan to visit the Foster‘s household and then walk around and check out all the lights together.

“I’m excited for my little sister,” Fermanian said. “I see Rachel as the little sister I never had and hopefully throughout this year we grow closer together as well as help each other through the school year. I’m very excited to see what the outcome of this year will be and I’m especially excited to be her (Rachel) big sister.

UPDATE: Administration has canceled the Cindy Lane walk for Sister to Sister and postponed it for an alternative date.

Fresno Chaffee Zoo:

The zoo is a year round attraction, but on the dates of Dec. 2, 7-9, 14-23, and 26-30 from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m., there will be lights throughout the zoo to celebrate the holidays.

Clovis Christmas Tree Lighting:

The extravagant Christmas tree lighting at Clovis City Hall on 1033 Fifth Street occurs on Dec. 3. Santa as well as Mayor Lee Brand will light the tree and Santa even arrives by trolly. Holiday carols will fill the Hall as Clovis High School and Clark Intermediate School choirs perform. The event begins at 6:30 p.m.

Clovis Unified and Roosevelt Christmas theatre performances:

[/media-credit] The junior high and high school choirs, as well as the girls’ ensemble, ‘Bellezza’, will perform during “Lessons and Carols” in the Peoples Church auditorium, Dec. 3, at 7 p.m.

Area school Clovis West High School will be performing “Dad’s Christmas Miracle” on Dec. 1 and Dec. 8 at the Dan Pessano/Black Box Theatre at 2 p.m. Clovis Unified School District Dance Festival begins on Dec. 15, at Shaghoian Concert Hall at 7:30 p.m. Finally, Clovis East High performs the musical “42nd Street” at the Mercedes Edwards Theatre, Jan. 17-18 and Jan. 24-26, 2019 at 7:30 p.m.

FCS choral concert: Lessons and Carols

“Lessons and Carols”, Fresno Christian’s Christmas program, will be on Dec. 3, at 7 p.m. in the Peoples Church main auditorium. The junior high choir, high school choir ‘Cantiamo‘ and the women’s ensemble ‘Bellezza’ will perform.

Annual downtown Fresno Christmas parade:

This will be the 89th year of the downtown Fresno Christmas parade and it will partake on Dec. 8, from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. on Fulton Street with the theme of “Future Christmas”.

92nd Annual Trek to the Nation’s Christmas Tree:

Sunday, Dec. 9, at 2:30 p.m., chartered buses will be leaving from Sanger to Kings Canyon National Park to see the nation’s Christmas tree and should have an arrival time of 5 p.m.

Holiday fun in the Tower:

[/media-credit] The FC band, percussion and winter guard will march in the Kiwanis Children’s Electric Christmas Parade in Old Town Clovis, Dec. 1, at 6:30 p.m.

For the first three weekends of December, the Tower District on Olive and Wishon avenues are providing as stated, holiday fun for the whole family. On Dec. 4, 5, 11, 12, 18 and 19, Sunnyside High School and Roosevelt School of the Arts will be serenading diners at Tower restaurants. On Dec. 5, at 6:30 p.m. the Hearts on Fire Choir perform in front of the Tower Theatre, and for the first three Saturdays of the month, Pedicab Jeff is giving free pedicab rides 6p.m.-8 p.m. Santa will also make appearances on Saturday nights.

Kiwanis Children’s Electric Christmas Parade:

The FC band, percussion and winter guard will perform and march in the Kiwanis Children’s Electric Christmas Parade in Old Town Clovis, Dec. 1, at 6:30 p.m. The parade route is from 9th street to 3rd street on Clovis and Pollasky avenues. Bring a blanket and a hot drink and celebrate the season with the Clovis community.

FCS band, Eagle band, percussion in A Suite of Sweets:

Our very own Fresno Christian band and percussion presents “A Suite of Sweets” on Dec. 10, in the SMC at 6:30 p.m. The performance is a collection of all of the “Nutcracker” songs. A hot chocolate and dessert bar will also be active. In addition, they will also be marching in the Clovis Electric Christmas Parade on Dec. 1, from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.

Hayden Trevino, ’22, expresses his excitement for the upcoming “Lessons and Carols” concert in the following podcast.

Yosemite Ice Rink:

Since 1928, Yosemite National Park visitors have enjoyed ice skating. The Half Dome Village Ice Rink is a outdoor ice rink located in the heart of Yosemite Valley along with a cozy fire pit. Holiday hours are: 8:30a.m.-11 a.m., 12p.m.-2:30 p.m., 3:30p.m.-6 p.m., and 7p.m.-9:30 p.m.

Annual stuffed animal drive for Valley Children’s Hospital:

Dec. 14, not only on campus but in the county, stuffed animals will be donated to those who have had a operation or surgery.

Bethany Church:

On Dec. 18-21, from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. the story of Jesus is brought to life in “Journey to Bethlehem”- a drive-thru live nativity.

Riverpark Santa House:

From now until Dec. 24, Santa will be in Riverpark. Visit Monday-Thursdays 4p.m.-9 p.m., Friday-Saturdays 12p.m.-9 p.m. and Sundays 12p.m.-7 p.m. Every Wednesday is also Santa Paws Pet Photo nights from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. and on Dec. 24, Santa will be there a full work day, 9 a.m.- 5 p.m.

[/media-credit] The high school choir ‘Cantiamo’ and girls’s ensemble ‘Bellezza’, sang Christmas music at Clovis Community Hospital during their annual Christmas tree lighting ceremony, Nov. 27.

Some students or people in general choose not to celebrate holidays such as Christmas or the festivities that come along with it, whether it is for religious or personal preferences. FCS student Suky Cheema, ‘19, is one of those students.

“We’re Sikh; we don’t celebrate Christmas,” Cheema said. “We have never put up a tree or are given presents in the morning because that’s just not what we believe in. We obviously have nothing against it, but we have no type of tradition that we follow or do every year to make Christmas Eve or Day special. I will be getting together with family, but mostly relaxing- healing my mind and body over the break to get ready for the second semester. I feel like this is a good time to do that.”

If there are any more holiday events coming up, please add them to the comment section below!

For more Feather articles, read Together we CAN food drive impacts Pinedale community and ‘Delta’ takes British rock band to new heights.

Connor Jens can be reached via email and via Twitter.