Clovis North’s The Wedding Singer musical shines

The Wedding Singer is one of two big productions that Clovis North create each year.

Local high school musical engages audiences

[/media-credit] Clovis North High School students participate in yearly musical performance The Wedding Singer

Currently the most recent of Clovis North’s theater productions, The Wedding Singer, engages audiences through bright costumes and upbeat dance numbers. The school put on two big productions during the year, one seniors-only produced show along with  improv shows throughout each school year.

The Wedding Singer starred 45 students along with a 54-member production team and ran Nov. 8 – Nov. 17. The musical included students aging from freshman all the way up to seniors performing center stage and crew. Students from The Institute of Technology Clovis Cosmetology and Barbering Program participated in preparing the students before each show.  

As the lights drew low and the curtains opened, disco lights, fog and 80s music filled the room, effectively pulling everyone back to the classic 1980s. The production began with a brightly-themed wedding and dance sequence filling the whole stage.

Robbie Hart played by senior Rhys Avants took center stage in a sparkly blue jacket, dress shirt and piano themed tie. His solo was quickly followed by attending waitress, Julia Sullivan played by Haley Huntley, longing for her own wedding day. This opening scene set the stage for the dramatic musical to follow.

The story follows Robbie, the wedding singer, through the ups and downs of his romantic relationships and professional career. After he’s left at the altar by fiancé Linda, a wild rockstar in search of more, he loses his passion for wedding performing. Robbie and Julia meet while performing at and catering several of the same weddings. Julia Sullivan now recently engaged to successful businessman Glen Gluglia, a selfish businessman already involved in an affair. Julia drags Robbie along to all her pre-wedding errands, where they quickly bond and fall in love .

After overcoming a series of Romeo and Juliet mishaps they eventually find their way back to each other. The production displays how true love can’t be denied and proves the importance of honesty on the path to happiness. Throughout the musical Robbie and Julia discover more about themselves all while falling in love with each other .

The music engages the audience through well placed comical relief and popular musical numbers. As the audience roots for the couple to profess their obvious love for one another, you’re brought to the edge of your seat at each turn of events. Each main character fulfills their role genuinely. Several nights of this Clovis North musical sold out, emphasizing just how well well they accomplished the widely known musical.   

[/media-credit] The Wedding Singer is one of two big productions that Clovis North creates each year.

Buying a ticket online ahead of time was highly suggested and very simple, at their website you pick your play, date, time and enter your personal information. A few minutes after checking out you receive a text that includes your ticket, then you’re ready to go. For just $12  per online ticket it was well worth the price.

For more information on Clovis North Bronco productions see Bronco drama website , Nov. 30 and Dec. 14 they will host their monthly improv show. Tickets are available at the door for only $5 a person. Check out the Clovis Unified School District website for all the Clovis Unified productions. Fresno Christian schools will host a Christmas Choir Concert Dec. 3 at 7 p.m..

Annaleise Anderson can be reached via email  and Twitter at @AnnaleiseAnders1.

For more articles see Delta Takes British Rock Band to new heights and Campus Groups Perform in Lessons and Carols Christmas Concert.

[rwp_box id=”0″]