PROMO: ‘A Suite of Sweets’ highlights band’s performance abilities

Concert introduces band student’s talents

With the holidays rushing in and the cold weather settling in, FC band music department introduces ‘Suite of Sweets’, a concert night filled with Christmas carols and desserts. This is the first time the band will perform a concert this year.

[/media-credit] FC band prepares for the “A Suite of Sweets” concert, Dec. 10.

Playing the flute ever since fifth grade and continuing to grow in her musical skills, Aimee Castaneda, ’21, enjoys playing in the FC band and is excited for the upcoming Christmas concert.

“I can’t wait for the ‘Suite of Sweets’,” Castaneda said, “because this year is different than all the other years and more focused on the music more than ever. I’m also nervous about my solo in one of the songs, but I know I can do this.”

With music from the Nutcracker and other composed pieces such as Jingle Bells and Deck the Halls, hot chocolate will be served as the music plays.

Enjoying the aspect of band and having played the alto saxophone for six years in a row, Selah Draper, ’22, anticipates the concert and is preparing diligently for the music they are performing that night.

“I play alto saxophone in FC band, and I really enjoy it,” Draper said. “I think this year we have greatly improved from last year, and I can’t wait to see more throughout the year. My favorite song from this set is ‘Brazilian Bells’ because I like the rhythm, it’s more advanced, and it pushes me to do better.”

In the following podcast, Mackenzie Beckworth talks to Lesley Bannister about the band performance.

Instrumental director Lesley Bannister explains her excitements for the concert and the different songs that will be played.

“We’ve decided to do the music of the ‘Nutcracker’ for this year,” Bannister said. “Percussion is playing a piece that contains several of the key songs from the Nutcracker Suite. Our FC band, the more advanced band, is playing a song called ‘Three Minute Nutcracker’ and it covers all of the main song themes from the Nutcracker.

[/media-credit] Diego Vigil, ’24, practices for his upcoming performance on Dec. 10. Vigil will be performing along with eagle band, FC band, and percussion.

“This concert is going be more of an intimate feel, with families gathering around the table at the SMC,” Bannister continued. “We will be serving dessert, which we haven’t done before. So this will for sure be a fun, cozy feel. We will also have a hot chocolate bar, and serve cupcakes and cookies, so it’s going to be fun, and I just love Christmas music. It’s so festive and the kids really love learning it. It makes you happy to be playing Christmas music, especially the Nutcracker music. It’s so beautiful and timeless.”

With 13 selections on the program, three pieces to anticipate are “Nutcracker To-Go” performed by the percussion ensemble, “Jingle Ye Merry Gentlemen” performed by the Eagle band, the “Brazilian Bell Carol” performed by the FCS band.

The FC band and percussion will perform in the SMC at 6:30 p.m., Dec. 10. Come listen to the Nutcracker themed instrumentals while sharing hot chocolate and desserts with friends and family.

For more band articles, read BREAKING: Campus band fundraises for Hawaii trip and JH choir, band to depart for Six Flags Magic Mountain, April 28.

Mackenzie Beckworth can be reached via email and via Twitter.