Juniors emphasize realism on Polynesian float

The beats of tribal drums fill the night sky as the junior float captures the imagination of those working to perfect it. Homecoming night will possess frenzy and diversity with this year?s theme: culture shock.

For the past two years, the Hutchins family hosted the construction of the class of ?08?s float. Easy access near Buchanan High and driveway/garage space assisted in its creation.

?The Hutchins have been a great help,? Melanie Nachtigall said, ?by giving us supplies and allowing us to use their driveway and their home.?

The junior class? theme, Polynesian, opens a wide variety of options to place on the two 24-ft. trailers, including a waterfall and a volcano.

?The waterfall,? Carson Hopper said, ?will rain glorious victory from the sky. We felt the more realistic we could make the float, the better chance we had in winning; waterfall give us the edge.?

Last year, the junior won second place with a theme of Mary Poppins, trailing behind the class of ?06?s Wizard of Oz. The juniors hope to continue high scores and the possibility of first place.

?I hope,? Sean O?Neal said, ?that the float looks as good as it did last year, if not better.?

Interest has spread about the excellence of the freshmen float. Although this intimidates some, others refuse to worry.

?Homecoming is ultimately about the returning alumni,? Nachtigall said. ?So whether we win or not, the evening will still be worth all the work.?

The juniors plan to place their final touches on their float the night of homecoming, Oct. 6. Homecoming begins at 5:30 P.M. with the junior varsity football game but many students will arrive earlier than that to work on the floats at Clark Intermediate in Clovis.

For more information, contact Tosland at [email protected].