Boys soccer competes in Jim Inglis tournament, Dec. 7-8

Boys soccer awaits new challenges at Lemoore tournament

With the soccer season already underway, the FC boys soccer team looks to improve their skills by competing in the Jim Inglis Tournament in Lemoore, Dec. 7-8.

The team usually competes in the Bakersfield Garces Memorial Tournament, however, soccer leadership decided to invest in the Jim Inglis Lemoore Tournament. Head of soccer Matt Markarian wanted different types of competition for the team.

[/media-credit] Sophomore Andrew Rieker dribbles past a Clovis North opponent, Dec. 1.

“It was time for something different,” Markarian said. “We like different challenges for our soccer programs. After many years of participating in the Garces tournament, it was time for us to play against new teams.”

One of the captains Jacob Scully, ‘19, looks forward to more difficult opponents in the tournament. He hopes the team will continue with their early season success.

“Our team is very excited to play in the upcoming tournament, especially given our recent form,” Scully said. “We have a confidence among us that shows we can compete with other great opponents. All together we’re all ready to get back out there and play for a trophy. I hope that our team can ultimately build off of every game that we play. Our team has shown promising signs early in the season of dealing with adversity, and this tournament should provide us with some great competition.”

First year athlete Kyler Garza, ‘21, decided to join the soccer team this year and plans on helping out the team. He anticipates a successful season and strives to improve at each practice.

“This would be my first tournament I would be going to and it’s exciting to see how our team performs given our past games we’ve played,” Garza said. “I’m really looking forward in improving myself and learning how to play in a high school team. I hope this tournament can help expand our experience in team play and gain chemistry in each game we play with each other. The team this year is very promising and I hope in this tournament we can take first place.”

Boys varsity soccer coach Ramon Martin Del Campo is new to the FC soccer family. 

“I feel strongly about the upcoming tournament,” Del Campo said. “We might lose some players due to academic priorities, so that might hurt us, but we have our starting eleven the first game and then the second game we have nine players from the original starting eleven. I feel confident that the boys will get minutes and I feel confident that people are going to step up and contribute to the team.”

The boys first game starts at 10 a.m. against Orosi and the second game is at 12:45 p.m, Dec. 7. There are two TBD games, Dec. 8.

Go out and support your boys soccer team!

For more sports related content, read Thompson strives with confidence on the basketball court. For another article, read Stuffed animal drive to benefit Valley Children’s Hospital.

John Monke can be reached via email and Twitter.

Andrew Rieker can be reached via email.