Chili’s serves up southwestern style

As I walked into Chili’s restaurant I could smell the aroma of a hot grill. The lights above each table turned on brightly as we made our way to our table. The bar in the middle of the floor had everyone’s tuned into a basketball game on the television.

Chili’s, located on the corner of Herndon and Fresno Street, gives an Applebee’s appearance but more of a family-oriented place. Unlike Applebee’s, Chili’s only has one TV in the bar and is less cluttered on the walls. Sombreros, chili peppers, and other Southwestern decorations along with the rugged, adobe motif titles on the tables, provides a southern experience.

Chili’s presents a quieter environment where it is easier to talk to family members or a date. The manager is FC graduate Lora Reynolds who enjoys working at the restaurant.

“Christmas season is the busiest time of the year for Chili’s,” Reynolds, ’91, said. “We are always busy all day Saturday but usually there is no wait to be seated before 5:30. It’s a great place to work and eat.”

As well as having good sit down service, Chili’s offers a ‘to go’ service and is also available for catering. For those counting dollars, Chili’s menu ranges from a $5 burger to an $18 steak. The food has a distinctly southwestern sensation to it yet having a simplistic taste and had large proportions.

The server was very friendly and was prompt on refills. Friendships at the work pace influence the performance of the servers.

“What I like most about my job is I get to interact with a lot of different people,” Kelly, a five-year employee, said. “In addition the staff members are friends with each other and enjoy working together.”

I would recommend Chili’s to anyone who needs a relaxing, refreshing and enjoyable meal. I had the chicken crispers, which were four large white meat chicken strips saturated with batter and fat, complemented with slightly sizzled French fries peppered with salt for $8.99.

My companion ordered the tangy favored chicken tacos, four large white flowered tacos filled with an eclectic mix of green/white lettuce, red tomato slices, grated cheddar and Swiss cheese, toped off with Cajun white meat chicken tender slices seasoned with selective slices and peppers. This is complemented with southern rice pilaf, and choice of Chili’s favored fries or canned refried beans for $5.99.

For more information on Chili’s take out menu, call at 432-3711.