Local churches, students prepare for winter camp

Hume Lake offers weekend getaway for students

Originally a sawmill and logging area, Hume Lake Christian Camps began their journey in 1946 with 670 campers coming up to experience the 320-acre camp for the first time. Over a million young people and adults have experienced the recreation and programming of God through Hume Lake.

[/media-credit] Hume Lake is ready for winter camp with a white blanket of snow.

A time to connect with others and get away from the stresses of life, Hume Lake winter camp approaches for many churches in the Valley, Jan 11-13. A good way to start the new year with all different snow activities, worship and a speaker every morning and night. 

As the snow begins to pile up, campers have the opportunity to ice skate, fly down the tube run, swing on the giant swing, participate in the broom hockey tournament, snowboard, take a ride on the mechanical buffalo, play indoor reball or just enjoy a good ‘ol fashion snowball fight.

Sophomore Rylee Schwab explains her excitement for this year’s winter camp.

“I have never been to winter camp before,” Schwab said. “I’m expecting it to be super fun with all of the winter games, the speaker, and the worship music to be a really refreshing start to the new year. I’m so excited to get to meet new people and grow my relationship with God. I want to take this time away from day to day life and just let him speak to me in a new setting.”

A new theme is chosen every winter camp and this year’s theme, Rich Young Rules!, comes from the verses, Ephesians 2:8-9. These verses talk about how God has given the gift of mercy and that being saved is through faith in Him. 

[/media-credit] Students enjoy their Senior Retreat trip at Hume Lake Christian Camps, Sept. 24-25.

Senior Darrin Williams has attended Hume Lake several times. Williams talks about his favorite activities and how he appreciates Hume Lake because of the community aspect.

“I have gone to Hume Lake about five or six times in the past and have gone both in the winter and summer,” Williams said. “My favorite activity for summer is probably hanging out with friends and getting milkshakes. For winter my favorite part is broom hockey. I’m looking forward to the bobsled blitz this year. I like Hume lake because of the community it brings out and the messages that we get to hear and it’s also a lot of fun to be up in the mountains with all my friends.”

Not able to make this year’s winter camp, Sophomore Hannah Villines describes the fun she experienced in the past camp trips.

“I went to Hume Lake camp the summer before my eighth grade year,” Villines said. “My favorite parts were probably the chapels and the recreation team games. I absolutely loved it because it was just such an amazing way to just get away from everything and all the stresses of life. The atmosphere and clear love of Jesus was so unbelievably present. It was probably one of the best weeks of my life. I would go back in a heartbeat.”

Activity prices:

Giant swing: $5

Crafts/keepsakes: $5-$10

Indoor reball: $5 per 20 minutes of play time

Ice skating: FREE

Mechanical bull: FREE

Snowboard run: FREE

Tube run: FREE

Snowball fight: FREE

Hume Lakes mission statement is “to have each person except Christ as their personal savior, grow in their faith and Christian character development, establish the priorities of prayer, Bible study, Christian fellowship while associating with a local church, and to devote their lives in service to the Lord Jesus at home and abroad.  

For more articles, check out Hume Lake Country Fair brings back family activities and COLUMN: Hume Lake Winter Camp reflection.

Annabelle Messer can be reached via email and Twitter.