Civil War Revisits Battle of the Carolinas

The seas of grey and blue flood together, as cannons boom and soldiers shout. They run rampant across the battlefield, charging for a cause. Countless are wounded and fall to the ground, bleeding.

Yet less than 100 yards away, there is absolute peace. General Lee is speaking to the spectators. He tries to convince them of his good intentions for the war. Nearby, women in long dark dresses sing folksongs and sell trinkets in colorful booths.

The Fresno County Historical Society will host the largest Civil War re-enactment in the western U. S. at Kearney Park on Oct. 21-22. The 17th annual re-enactment features “The Battles of the Carolinas”, portrayals of famous Civil War characters in period costumes, and a look at the H. L. Hunley, the first Confederate war submarine.

The re-enactment is a combination field trip, time machine and living textbook. It shows students how history applies to real life. This is one reason many history teachers give extra credit for attending the event.

?I promote students to go because they get a close, in depth look at that important and critical era of U. S. history,? Jon Hall, history teacher said. ?To go is to experience it first hand and see what it must have been like.? Hall gives extra credit for attending the event.

Although not many students are attending, student body president Jeremy Ramos, ’07, is planning on making a second visit since his fifth grade experience.

?I didn?t go last year because I was out of town,? Ramos said. ?I enjoy going because it?s something different to do other than the routine. It?s cool to see the re-enactment of famous people like the war generals and President Lincoln.?

While some students watch, others participate. Brittany Motte, ’07, rides horses sidesaddle between battles portraying Elizabeth Crockett, a wealthy Virginian. She is an extra in the living history portrayal. Crockett was the great great grandmother of Ramos.

?The Civil War Revisited is important because instead of just reading about this event, people get a taste of what it might have been like,? Motte said. ?You can learn so much from seeing things. I encourage people to come because there are so many fun things to do and you learn so much about how things have changed.?

Motte has hand-sewn several period dresses in order to be completely authentic as she rides or strolls through the camp. Motte and campus grad Daniel Crosby, ’06, who portrays a blacksmith, both participate as members of the 9th Virginia Cavalry.

“While the event takes three days and at times is long, it is a really fun experience,” Mote said.

According to MerriamWebster.com, history is defined as ?a branch of knowledge that records and explains past events.? However it is much more than that. Those who study history can learn from past mistakes and apply that knowledge to the future.

?When things happen in the past, they aren?t always able to be told, ? Laurie Smith, former FC parent and a re-enactment volunteer, said. ?There is so much value in what happened. If nobody told that story, where would we be? The reenactment embraces the sacrifices that were made. It adds so much to the history program.?

For more information on last year’s event, read Taylor Torrence’s Sept. 26, 2005, article, “Civil War Revisits Fresno”.

Tickets are priced at $9 for adults and $5 for children, ages 6-12. Over 2000 re-enactors will perform in battle and portrayal of historical figures during the two-day event. The doors will open at 10 A.M. both days and the battles will begin at 1 P.M. and 4:30 P.M. on Saturday, and 11 A.M. and 2:30 P.M. on Sunday. For more information, call (559) 441-0862.