Campus athletics aim to succeed in new league

Basketball, soccer kick off league play

[/media-credit] Senior Griffin Schmidt sinks a layup against Summit Charter, Jan 10.

As the winter sports season reaching the end of preseason, both basketball and soccer will begin league play. Central Interscholastic Federation (CIF) redid the leagues at the end of last season and placed the Eagles in a new league.

With the new league, boys basketball varsity coach Jonathan Penberthy wants his team to improve on offense. His squad finished 4-8 in non-league games and 5-8 overall.  

“Our goal is still the same as we set at the beginning of the season and that was to win league and make it to valley championship,” Penberthy said. “One key thing we are working on is to cut down on turnovers. If we can limit the turnovers than we would improve our chances of winning every game.”

One of the captains on the team Suky Cheema, ‘19, wants his team to improve on press defense.

“My favorite memory of the first half would probably have to be our first win of the season because we won in double overtime against our rival Coalinga,” Cheema said. “The one thing I hope to improve on this season would be our press defense. We’ve been practicing it a lot in practice and we’re now starting to put it in games. It should be nice to see how it plays out in game situations.”

The varsity boy’s team continue their winning ways with a win against Laton 69-40, Jan.15. as per published in the following post.

Coach Robert Foshee of the girls varsity basketball wants his team to have more confidence after going 6-6 in non-league and 8-7 overall.

“Our goals are to take one game at a time, one team at a time and play our best game each night,” Foshee said. “In basketball skills, we want everyone to be confident in what they’re doing and excel in the skills they know. Also, we want to grow closer to Christ as a team and grow closer to each other. This first week of league we are working on enthusiasm, friendship, industriousness, cooperation, and loyalty.”

Besides the basketball teams, both soccer teams will also start their league games.

The boy’s varsity soccer team has been a different team compared to last year with a record of 4-3-1 before league play and 6-3-1 overall. First-year coach Ramon Martin Del Campo hopes the team continues to play hard and fight to win league.

“My goal is for the team to compete for the top spot in the league and to have a consistent style of play throughout the league,” Ramon said. “I want us to improve on our quality in finishing our chances, dominating possession in the opponents half, and winning second balls.”

[/media-credit] Sophomore striker Rylee Schwab cuts past a Sierra HS defender, Nov. 26.

The girl’s varsity soccer team finished non-league play with a record of 5-4 and 6-5 overall while mainly playing against division two schools. Coach Matt Markarian wants his team to continue to work hard and hope to win league.

“My main goal is to get better every day,” Markarian said. “We played a very tough preseason schedule with the plan to be ready to win league. It has been a long time since we have been league champions. We know that if we work hard and get better every day we will be in a great spot to play for a valley championship.”

Captain Rylee Schwab, ‘21, enjoyed the first half of the season and participating in the Lemoore Tournament. She hopes to continue to gain better chemistry with her teammates.

“Learning how each other plays is huge in the process of being a great team,” Schwab said. “I hope my team can improve on staying focused in practices and pregame and really take the coaches advice and apply it in the game. We also could work on being more positive which creates a more enjoyable game for everyone around us.”

Blake Deffenbacher produced the following 2019 winter sports promo. Check it out.

Soccer plays Laton, boys at 4 p.m. and girls at 6 p.m., Jan. 15. Basketball plays Kings Christian, girls at 5:45 p.m. and boys at 7 p.m., Jan. 15. Go out and support your Eagles.

For more articles, check out EDITORIAL: Benefits of high school sports and Fall Sports Awards 2018.

John Monke can be reached via Twitter and email.