Disneyland raises prices before new land opens

Ticket and annual pass prices increase 10-25 percent for Disneyland Resort

At the beginning of January 2019 Disneyland Resort in California raised their park ticket prices over 10 percent. The increase on most tickets grows to a 20 percent for the top tier annual passes. This recent inflation quickly followed their last price raise just 11 months ago in Feb. 2018, which raised most tickets by nearly eight percent.

[/media-credit] Because of the ticket price raise, the pay for cast members has increased to $15 an hour.

Disney also adjusted the annual pass program rules, adding block out days for those holding these tickets. The changes came ahead of their new Star Wars themed area, called Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, which is set to open in the summer of 2019.

Disneyland continues to provide three tiers of daily ticket prices based on their expected attendance level per day. Parking also increased from $20 to $25.

Disney attempts to soften the blow by offering special discounts for Southern California residents on multi-day tickets. The Anaheim park added a new deal, offering tickets as little as $70 per day with the purchase of a “3-day, One Park” per day ticket. Both of these offers must be be used by May 23, 2019.

According to the ABC30 segment, “Disneyland ticket and parking prices increase; cheapest ticket over $100”, Disneyland spokesperson Liz Jaeger speaks on behalf of the park regarding the Disneyland price inflation.

“We continue to provide our guests with a variety of ticket offerings to meet their needs,” Jaeger said, “while helping us to spread visitation, better manage demand and deliver a great experience.”

The following are the old and new prices on Disneyland’s tickets and annual passes 2019, as presented by Theme Park Insider

Student, Kayla Fermanian, ‘19, enjoys going with friends and family to Disneyland, as she visited the park five times last year including her birthday. Fermanian expresses her feelin

[media-credit id=54 align=”alignright” width=”396″][/media-credit]

“I went to Disneyland for my birthday last year, my favorite part is going on all the roller coasters with my friends and hanging out there,” Fermanian said. “I think the recent price increase is a bit too much especially considering it was already expensive before. I do think it might affect the attendance level.”  

The biggest percentage increases affected annual passes. It will continue to cost people more in 2019 to visit the Disneyland theme parks especially on their busiest days.

The Select Pass, which is blocked out for most of the summer, all weekends and many peak vacation weeks rose a relatively modest eight percent. Prices of the ‘Signature Pass’ which is only blocked for two weeks during the Christmas season, went up by 15 percent.

[/media-credit] The Disneyland ticket prices rose before the opening of their newest Star Wars themed area, Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge.

One of their most popular, the ‘Signature Plus Pass’, which allows access every single day of the year, rose nearly 22 percent.

Their ‘Premier Annual Pass’, will cost customers quite a pretty penny, now nearly $2,000. It has risen 23% since 2018.

Alumna Madison Sieb, ‘15, a Disneyland cast member since August 2019, speaks on the price increases affecting the park and cast members.

She shares about her time working there, and how price increases affect attendance levels.

“The tickets have been raised nearly 25% for some tickets and the pay for cast members has increased to $15 an hour,” Sieb said. “Something to keep in mind, is the apartment and living cost in LA. They remain incredibly high so even $15 an hour is barely enough to live on in Anaheim. I don’t believe the ticket sales or attendance will be negatively affected, if anything we expect them to grow with the opening of our ‘Star Wars Land’.”

According to ‘History’, Disneyland opened on July 19, 1955, with an entrance fee of just $1 per person and an expected attendance of 15,000 invitation-only guests, Disney lovers overwhelmed the new park. 

The crowd was filled with party crashers, entering via fake tickets and entrepreneurs with tall ladders. These numbers have since skyrocketed, with 44,000 people entering the park daily and park tickets costing hundreds. Despite continued inflation, Disneyland continues to remain a popular vacation destination for travelers from all around the world.  

What are your thoughts on the recent increase? When was the last time you visited Disneyland? What’s your favorite part of the park? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

For more articles read Editorial: Role of student leadership and Thoughts from Israel No. 1- The Christian Prayer Life.

Annaleise Anderson can be reached via email and Twitter.