E-waste recycling mandatory

Over a year ago, the administration along with the Peoples Church custodians, launched a recycling program to help reduce the amount of garbage generated.

Fresno County has been under close scrutiny as the amount of trash produced. In fact, there is a fine of up to $10,000 a day if trash generated was not diverted.

A law passed in 1989 stating 455 cities, counties and other government jurisdictions in California were to divert half of their garbage from landfills by 2000 (recyclingtoday.com).

However, after reading the submitted progress reports, Fresno County only diverted 31% of their garbage as of 2000.

The campus took action by instituting a recycling program, in hope to reduce waste amounts by 30% over the next few years.

?Over this last year, we were able to reduce our trash waste by 25%,? Willard Neufeld, Peoples Church facility manager, said. ?We have saved a lot of money by cutting our trash costs.?

Only materials such as paper, aluminum, plastic and tin are recyclable. In some instances, they are not reusable once produced and therefore waste, while in other cases the materials are not allowed to be reused, because they are hazardous.

These materials, be it batteries, cleaning solvents, acids, electronics, pesticides or a host of other items, must be safely disposed of, as they are harmful to the environment.

Fresno County organized the Household Hazards event to give residents a place to dispose of these materials. Many trek with carloads of refuse to dump off and have taken care of.

The two-day event takes place on Nov. 3-4 2006, and usually is held twice a year.

The drop off of materials is by appointment, so in order to secure a spot for the next drop off, call 1-800-433-5060, or for questions call Fresno County at 262-4259. For the date of the next drop off, refer to, which will have the dates when they are announced.

For more information on the campus?s recycling program, check out Julianne Erkenbreker?s Nov. 10, 2005, article, Save it for recycling.