WSL foes cooperate, plan multi-school events

Each month, the student leadership class meets with other schools in the West Sierra League (WSL), not to compete, but to cooperate in multi-school events. This year will get a start with the first meeting scheduled for Oct. 30.

During these monthly meetings, the students discuss school activities, events and learn new ideas from each other. Not only do the students get unique views on school events, but the meetings also serve as an opportunity to learn about the students at the other schools in their league.

?We usually start with a game at the meetings,? Abby Schoettler, ?09, said. ?That sort of blends everyone together and we get to do something fun with the schools who are typically rivals with us in sports.?

Students feel the meetings are beneficial, and the first meeting of the year is especially important.

?The meetings help us to get fresh ideas,? Brittany Shaffer, ?09, said. ?This first meeting is critical, because it can help us to learn from other schools about some fun events for the beginning of the school year. Then we can make those new ideas fit our school.?

Although the meetings are ultimately beneficial, sometimes the competitions between schools go beyond the sports arena.

?Sometimes it turns into a competition of it?s own,? Schoettler said. ?It doesn?t happen often, but sometimes the schools seem to be trying to compete with each other for who has the best event or fundraiser.?

Regardless of the success of each meeting, the leadership team always benefits in some way.

?The meetings help us get great new ideas for our school,? Jeremy Ramos, student body president said. ?But no matter what, it helps us fit in some time to bond with the other people in leadership.?

The first meeting of the year is based upon leadership training for the New Year, and taking what they did last year and trying to improve.

?The first meeting is important,? Claire Kister, ?08, said. ?We get to know the leaders from other schools and form a group to discuss ideas.?

This meeting starts out with a movie called ?Fish Philosophy?; the short film portrays a message of perseverance and hard work, as well as having fun. The students then split into groups based upon their offices. While in the groups, the officers plan to categorize their different ideas to start out the year.

The first meeting is at Firebaugh High School on Oct. 30. For more information, contact Josh Tosland, student leadership adviser at [email protected]