Girls' football tradition continues

When the ball is hiked, six players rush the quarterback while the recievers run down field. The quarterback runs out of the pocket, but passes off the football before an immediate sack.

Girls from each class have the opportunity to reenact this play in the girls football tradition on Nov. 17. Teams will meet during lunch to perfect plays and organize positions on Nov. 13-16.

“I love powderpuff, it’s something I look forward to every year,” Kimberly Swift, ’08, said. “I’m a really competitive person and I get really into it and I think if everyone has the same drive to win, I think we can be unbeatable.”

The Class of 2007 placed first for the past three years, and plans to hold on to the title this year.

“I want to destroy the freshman,” Christina Cabias, ’07, said, “and I know that we are going to dominate and become the four time champions.”

The seniors will first play the freshmen, while the juniors play the sophomores. The winners of each round will compete for the title and trophy.

“I’m excited to play, because I’ve never really played before,” Amanda Edwards, ’10, said. “I’m kind of scared though to go up against the seniors because I know they’re not going to take it easy on us at all.

Besides the three boys chosen to be the coaches, others will cheerlead.

“It’s fun coaching football, because I can teach them all the good plays that I’ve learned in the past,” Ryan Brunn, ’08, said. “This year we have a secret weapon so hopefully we will do better this year then we did last year, and also I like seeing other people get hit instead of me.”

Although many join to play football, others join because of the class shirts.

“I love the shirts we get, ” Natalie McCallum ’09, said. “It’s a way to make football fashionable and cute.”