New coach pushes endurance

As the winter season begins, the girls’ soccer team focus is on fundamental drills and conditioning for success. Endurance and the need to run pushes the team forward and hopes for a chance to win the title of valley champions.

The girl’s soccer team started practicing for the upcoming season on Oct. 23. Although Robert Foshee has headed the girl’s soccer program since 1998, he will not return for another season.

“Foshee isn?t coaching this year,” Rachael Bell, ’07, said. “I think it is going to be weird because Foshee has been the coach for as long as I known him.”

Foshee decided to end coaching last season because time he wants to spend more time with his family. Gina Arabia, ’03, will now direct the program. She has played soccer for 17 years, until a knee injury during college.

“I used to play for the Fresno Christian soccer team and I’m very excited to be back here and coach for the team I used to play on,” Arabia said. “I came back to coach because I felt that this is where I wanted to be and where I belonged.”

Players must run two miles within 17 minutes to earn a starting position.

“I am very excited that Gina is coaching this year,” Christina Cabias, ’07, said. “I am glad she is back to coach because a couple of years ago she helped out the team. I had a lot of fun.”

The team consists of eight seniors who have played together since their freshman year.

“I am a four year varsity player, I want to help lead the team,” Kristen Amerine, ’07, said. “I want out team to adjust and unit with all the new players. Doing this will help our team communicate and play better on the field.”

The team lost three experienced players.

“We lost our leading scorer Ashley (Sherr, ’06) many think that because we lost her we won’t win anymore” Amerine said. “I don’t think that is true at all. We still have a great team even if Ashley did leave.”

The rest of the team consists of eight freshmen, three juniors and two sophomores.

“This is my first year playing soccer,” Allison Birkle, ’10, said. “I am kind of nervous because I don?t know how to play and there is a lot of running involved.”

Since the girls soccer team won valley in 2001, the girls went to playoffs but lost. Many players remain optimistic for a valley championship this season.

“I think our team will have a shot at winning valley this year,” Eliza Leisle, ’07, said. “Our team is amazing. The team is well developed because there are a lot of seniors whom I have played with since freshman year.”

Although this is the first year the team will attend the Cost Union Invitational on Dec. 8-9, they will also play at the annual Garces Soccer Festival on Dec. 15-16.

“I am excited for the tournaments we will be attending,” Ellie Wilhelm, ’08, said. “Going to the tournaments is a great way to bond with the team and I am also looking forward to pulling pranks.”

Central High will host FC for their first preseason game on Nov. 20.

For more information contact Arabia at 709-0564.