CSF celebrates 20 years

Motives are often questioned when students join California Scholarship Federation (CSF). With various views some join for the lunch passes, others to serve the community or a combination of both.

CSF students’ grades are based on a point system: A’s are three points, B’s are one, C’s are zero, and they cannot have any D’s or F’s. To qualify students must have 10 or more points.

“CSF is basically honor students,” Ellen King, current CSF adviser since 2004, said. “It is not just about students with good grades, but students who serve the community.”

Although David Fujihara, ’08, is not in student leadership as he was last year, he remains committed to the community.

“I am in CSF to serve the community,” Fujihara said. “I work hard during the events and as a result, I get an off campus lunch pass. That?s not my reason for joining, though, it?s just a benefit.”

Gary Warketin first introduced CSF to campus 20 years ago on Nov. 4, 1986. Warkentin is currently living in San Diego as the business manager for Calvary Christian Academy. He is also the preacher at Calvary Chapel.

“I think it was important to start CSF because it is a good campus organization that honors school achievement,” Warkentin said. “I only served for two years as the adviser then Joann Johnson, the liberian at the time, took over.”

Since then, advisers changed and initiated different service projects like a trip to the Craycroft Center, an emergency center for children with unfortunate circumstances.

“Visiting Craycroft gives students an opportunity for school involvement and have the experience of helping others,” King said. “It also looks good on college applications.”

The campus continues to add more adjustments to the program with stricter policies, such as active and inactive members.

“To be an active member you need to attend all meetings,” King said. “Active members get the privilege of going off campus on certain days. Inactive members do not have the same privileges. To become inactive, one must miss a meeting.”

CSF is in the process of planning various service projects such as: reading to patients at Children’s Hospital, bake sales and holiday lunches.

“This year we are planning on doing a lot of things to help people,” CSF president Kristin Amerine, ’07, said. “One event that we are doing is to bring old coats and give them to the less fortunate.”

CSF gives students a chance to qualify for the Seymour Scholarship. This requires candidates to be a seal bearer, which means students have to be in the program for five semesters.

Several Seymour candidates applied from the central California area last school year. Twelve were chosen from the 27 candidates including Michelle Dibuduo and Jennifer Schmidt, both ’06.

“In order to win you must fill out an application, three letters of recommendation, and a letter of my own,” Dibuduo said. “Also you had to be a life time member. The interview was by far the most difficult part to me.”

Dibuduo is currently attending Fresno State while Schmidt attends UC Davis. As finalists they received $1250.

CSF will next meet on Nov. 8 in room 626 to discuss Molly Sargent’s Oct. 27-28 Fullerton conference. Also Amerine will suggest the club visit Christmas Tree Lane and collect money for Children’s Hospital; all CSF members are required to attend.

For more information contact King at 299-1695 ext. 167, or email her at [email protected]