Golf returns to campus

This spring, the campus plans to offer golf as a co-ed sport.

In 1999, Ericlee Gilmore began to promote track, and funds were limited. Track spurred more interest than golf, so the latter was cut from the curriculum. Now, seven years later, Scott Callisch, athletics director, attempts to reintroduce the sport.

?Even though there are three other sports offered for boys in the spring season, we wanted to gauge interest for golf,? Scott Callisch, athletics director, said. ?Golf is a sport we should compete in because every school in the West Sierra League has one except for Fresno Christian.?

High school golf has a ladder system similar to tennis in which the number one player plays against the other teams? number one player. Six players on each team compete at each game.

They play on a nine hole course before daylight savings time and 18 holes after. The lowest five scores of each team are added together, to determine the winner.

?Golf is my favorite sport because it is fun to hang out with friends on the driving range,? Spencer Lee, ?10, said. ?If you hit a good shot in golf, the feeling is desirable and you want to do it again.?

Although students will need to provide their own equipment, the campus will pay for uniforms and golf balls. Currently there is no coach.

?We are looking for someone with a background in golf and is a Christian,? Callisch said. ?He must be free in the afternoons, have flexible hours, get along with kids and have a desire to teach.?

Students interested in golf should sign up with Callisch. The location and times for games and practices will be announced later in the year.

?My whole family plays golf so I might as well follow in suite,? Carson Hopper, ?08, said. ?It?s a nice alternative than sitting at home and doing nothing.?

According to Callisch, the goal of the golf program this year is to gauge interest, in order for the campus to fund golf next season.