Promo: Boys tennis starts up season practice

Team prepares a return to Valleys, seniors lead with passion

[/media-credit] The 2018 tennis team took a devastating loss in playoffs in 2018, finishing runner up in Valley, but are looking to make a comeback this year.

After a disappointing loss in the CIF Central Section Division V Valley Championship, finishing the 2018 season for the boys tennis team, the players prepare to make another run at a Valley championship. The varsity team starts practice this week to begin the season, Feb. 12.

Last season the team finished 11-3 overall and 9-3 in West Sierra League play. They received the third seed in playoffs and made it to the valley final. They played a hard-fought match against Liberty High School where all six singles matches went to third set tie-breakers. However, the Eagles were ultimately defeated and finished runner up.

Head coach Robert Foshee believed it was a great season for the team as they finished second in Division V tennis.

I don’t think of it as a disappointing finish to last season,” Foshee said. “We were section runner-ups and made it further than 34 other teams in Division V boys tennis. I thought it was a great season. I think the goals are the same as last year. We want to represent our school and Jesus to the best of our ability, we want to get better each day in our tennis skills, and we want to win league and go far into the playoffs.”

In the following podcast, John Monke talks to Braden Bell about the upcoming tennis season.

This year’s boys tennis team features three seniors and Foshee wants his seniors to lead the team throughout the season.

“I want our seniors to be good leaders and mentors,” Foshee said. “If the seniors play hard and lead by example it will help the freshmen understand what it takes to excel and earn wins against quality opponents.”

Four-year varsity player Reese Brown, ‘19, wants his team to win league and Valley to finish off his senior year.

“My personal goal for this year is to make it to the second weekend of individual Valleys,” Brown said. “My team goal for this year is to win Valleys. I don’t expect anything less than that. I really just want to take a ring from my senior season.”

Braden Bell, ‘20, has been playing tennis for many years. Bell is excited to be part of this team and having the possibilities of winning a valley championship.

[/media-credit] Players, including junior Hunter Nale, hope to improve their skills and develop a closer bond with their teammates.

“I have been playing tennis for as long as I can remember, whether it is with the family or at tennis clinics at our neighborhood racket club,” Bell said. “This is my third year playing for FC and I really enjoy it. My goal is to always to get better and hopefully this year we can get a valley championship. I also enjoy just being apart of the team and having fun together.”

First-year high school player Edward Fikse, ‘22, wants to improve during practice in every aspect of his tennis game.

“I first started playing tennis when I was about eight with my sisters along with my cousins, taking lessons in Madera,” Fiske said. “I’ve been playing tennis in a team since junior high co-ed tennis back when I was in 7th grade. My goals this season are to improve at tennis and hopefully build stronger bonds with my teammates. My feelings on being part of this team with high expectations is that I hope not to let anyone down and I’ll just try my best and have fun.”

The Eagles first match will be vs Firebaugh High School, Feb. 21. For more information on last year’s boys tennis team, read BREAKING: Boys tennis hosts D-V Valley Championship vs Liberty Madera Ranchos, May 15.

For more articles read Drama teacher expresses passion for the arts and Feather tech talk, No. 3: Drones add new ways to cover media.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @JohnMonke and via email: John Monke.

Below is a slideshow of boys tennis.