Biblical films swarm box office

After Mel Gibson?s The Passion of the Christ smashed box office expectations, producers began to explore the Christian community as a potential audience. As a result of growing interest, several Bibical films including 8X Entertainment’s One Night with the King, were created.

The film depicts the biblical account of Esther, a Jewish orphan who rises from rags to riches when she is chosen by the Persian king to be his bride. Using her influence as queen, Esther rescues the Jewish people from Prince Haman?s plot to destroy the entire nation of Israel.

The eye is never bored while absorbing an elaborately illustrated world of glimmering jewels and grand banquets. The film also encourages viewers to go beyond the theater and research the ancient Bible text for themselves.

One Night With the King not only retells a popular children?s story, it opens a window to the Bible for non-Christians. Pastors? Sunday messages expanded to bring biblical tales to the big screen. Increasing demand has provided the production of historical stories, along with Bibical parallels.

Disney took advantage of the discovery and released The Chronicles of Narnia; The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, in Dec. 2005. Narnia?s sequel, Prince Caspian, is planned to release Dec. 2007.

20th Century Fox?s new branch recently announced the establishment of a new branch, dubbed Fox Faith. The new film company intends to serve the Christian community and release at least six inspirational films a year into theaters worldwide. This includes: Love?s Abiding Joy, based on the novels by Janette Oke, Three based on Ted Dekker?s novel, The Last Sin Eater inspired by Francine Rivers? book, and Mama, I Want to Sing, to be released in Jan., Feb., and Mar. 2007.

Facing the Giants, an independently developed film, took the stage on Sep. 29. The small budget of $100,000 paid itself back significantly by earning a gross of over $1.3 million during opening weekend.

Others embraced the religious route of story telling. New Line Cinemas decided this holiday season to put the Christ in Christmas by producing The Nativity Story, opening worldwide Dec. 1.

Hollywood is accepting biblical movies into the cinematic world. Now it is the audience?s turn to decide whether to allow these films to make a difference in everyday life.