Ice skater pursues dream alone

When the bell rings at 3 P.M., students leave campus with friends, or rush home, while others work toward their dream.

Although the campus offers numerous sports, Kristina Logan, ’10, began ice-skating about two years ago. She leaves school daily to practice ice-skating 2-3 hours four to five days per week.

“I thought about skating for a long time and then decided to ask for lessons for my birthday,” Logan said. “I continue to skate because I love it. It is different from any other sport and that is why I like it so much.”

Logan skates and is trained by coach Laura Logan (no relation), an experienced skater from Switzerland. While Kristina is learning the art of skating in high school, it is her dream to also become a coach.

“When I was younger I did gymnastics but a few years later I decided to take up ice-skating instead,” Kristina said. “I’m glad I did, though, because I really love the sport, and I like being the only one doing it, but I do miss having teammates around.”

Logan practices at Gateway Rink, a local rink at Marks and Clinton, near Highway 99, which is open to the public. In addition to the cost for a coach, she pays $10 each session to get on the ice.

“It becomes even more expensive around the time of competition season,” Kristina said. “It’s usually $500 per month plus $200 for coaching, even though I have the same coach at all times, and then $100 for competition entry.”

Competitions occur every month, which begin in October and last till the end of April and include from 4-12 skaters.

“I have only competed in about four competitions,” Kristina said, “but I’ve won two out of the four.”

When she is not skating or completing homework, Kristina is also training guide dogs for the blind and has done so for six years.

“We are on our fifth dog,” Kristina said, “and I often bring her to school with me and will do so about once a week.”

The Logan family has trained four dogs so far but ended up keeping the first one as a family pet.

“We kept the first dog my brother (Joey) and I trained,” Kristina said. “Her name is Jules. She was dropped from the program for ear infections and we were given the chance to keep her. I jumped at the chance because I already had fallen in love with her. I couldn’t help it.”

Kristina skates despite its demands and focuses on women’s singles, the most common of the four skating categories. While many marvel at Kristina’s persistence and willingness to compete, some do not share her appreciation for skating.

“I don’t like ice-skating at all, it’s too cold and you can get hurt really easily,” John Dinsdale, ’09, said. “Plus, when I was younger, I had a bad experience, where I fell down on to the ice and it hurt really bad, plus that same day I lost my favorite pair of black gloves there.”

Although the injuries are usually minimal, she is passionate about her sport even when the time comes for practice.

“I think I’ve only had one really bad injury,” Kristina said. “I fell really hard and it left a big bruise down the side of my leg and it made me unable to walk for a few weeks. Injuries are just part of my sport. I would never quit just because I might get injured.”

Kristina’s passion has already encouraged others in her freshmen English class.

“It is impressive that Kristina could carry out something she randomly decided to accomplish and has made a goal out of it,” Kayla Hadock, ’10, said. “I know it is hard for me to finish anything that I start.”

Many though admire the fact the ice-skaters have the courage to perform in front of a crowd alone.

“I think it’s cool that she performs alone,” Ashley Chavez, ’09, said. “I can kind of understand how she feels to be the only one competing because during the summer I swim, and I’m all alone when I compete.”

Kristina’s last competition was in San Francisco on Oct. 28. The Skate San Francisco Competition gave her some experience in front of a set of judges but she did not medal. Her next testing will be in mid February when judges from out of town are scheduled to test skaters ready to move to the next level. She is hoping to advance from the pre-preliminary level to the preliminary one.

Please return to this online paper for more details, as Kristina continues to compete and train.

For more information, contact the Gateway Ice Center at (559) 277-2233 or go online to the websites below.